Make your own "Bubba Pucks"

Started by Glassguy, July 16, 2008, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsms

Hey, Coherent...
What about simply having a 2 1/4" (or whatever diameter a puck is) piece of pipe, with a very thin bottom on it (could even be out of tin, for low cost and good heat absorption?). Then just fill up the puck with whatever wood shavings you have, or even crumble some different flavor pucks in there?

Unless there is some reason I'm not aware that would make you require having a top on it?

Please also note that I don't actually have an OBS in my possesion yet, I'm waiting for it in the mail.  ;D

Mr Walleye

That may or may not work. You could have a problem with them jamming because there is no top on them. You basically have a stack of pucks and the slider pushes the bottom puck into position, if there was no top to the puck, they very well could hang up on the rest of the stack.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Just my opinion but..............

LilSmoker.......
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

beefmann

I use two copper caps for 2 inch pipe that  was cut down to 1/2 thick and  never had a problem... one  side is covered and the other is  open

West Coast Sausage Maker

Are not most of the bubba pucks  (tm) on the internet, made of aluminum?
Super heated aluminum is very bad for you. Alzheimer's anyone? 

I wonder If anyone is selling stainless steel ones yet. or maybe porcelain ?

soylent green is people

Gizmo

Yes they are aluminum but I would not say that the temp the puck burner provides is super heating the aluminum.  Not a metallurgist here but food does not come in direct contact with the pucks so for any aluminum to get into the food, it would have to become airborne.  I believe the aluminum scare for alzheimers is food that comes in contact with alumium that then leaches into the food.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: T B S on November 29, 2008, 10:30:35 PM
Are not most of the bubba pucks  (tm) on the internet, made of aluminum?
Super heated aluminum is very bad for you. Alzheimer's anyone? 

I wonder If anyone is selling stainless steel ones yet. or maybe porcelain ?

I'm no doctor or scientist etc, but i would have to say after reading various articles on the subject, i'm inclined to agree with Giz. I think using the aluminium (that's how we spell it over here) pucks in the Bradley would cause no more risk, or probably even less risk than using water that's been boiled in an aluminium kettle to make tea/coffee?

Here's one of the articles that i read:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

LilSmoker......
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

West Coast Sausage Maker

hmmm thanks for the info.

They removed all aluminium cookware and utensils from the hospital in vancouver where my wife works, My guess is to reduce any posible risk.

Aluminium is starting to sound more like asbestos to me.

Maybe its just early stages of Alzheimer's setting in.

Now, back to my Gin and Tonic
soylent green is people

Kummok

In the "for what it's worth" category, when I started prototyping what became the 'Original Bubba Puck', I considered several different mediums for an "advancing bisquette". I'll spare you the reasons for failure/not selecting of other types, and just say that I landed on the aluminum as the best all around choice. I then spec'd the puck to potential suppliers as, among other requirements, 'food grade'. As explained, food grade was dense enough to reduce exfoliation during predicted usage....(a concern that a hospital might have when removing all aluminum cookware from their building as posted above).

As most of you know, I no longer have any financial or legal ties to the Bubba Puck makers, but just thought that you might want some background on why I still use mine with no ill effect, other than not remembering my name when reporters call for interviews, baldness, an intense desire to kill and eat King Salmon, and a propensity to see how fast ANYTHING I operate on land/sea/air can really go!!  ;)

NePaSmoKer

I agree with giz and kummok

I use 4 aluminum bubba pucks and i dont have any drain bamage  :D  :D

nepas

Wildcat

I olny uitilze a cupole of pcuks and hvae not nitoecd aynhtnig dffirent.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Wildcat on December 03, 2008, 10:23:43 AM
I olny uitilze a cupole of pcuks and hvae not nitoecd aynhtnig dffirent.  ;)

em oot tacdliW!

:D  :D  ;D

ekiM

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I use them also, but can't remember what I used them for. ???

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

em oot tacdliW!

:D  :D  ;D

ekiM

似乎是我们大家同样的问题当我们使用 bubba 小精灵的时候

West Coast Sausage Maker

soylent green is people