Turn a rotisserie oven to a smoker?

Started by justwandr, April 24, 2010, 04:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justwandr

I am being offered a henny penny rotisserie oven which works and is in good condition from a friend who has no use for it anymore.

Even though I have on going thread about building my first smoker I didnt' want to skip on turning this into a smoker if I can. http://www.caterquip.com.au/MyImages/HennyPenny1.jpg

The one he has can fit about 8-10 chickens temp can be controlled pretty easy and you can go pretty darn high on it if you want.

All ideas are welcome!

squirtthecat

I would bolt a Smoke Daddy on the side of it and call it done!

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/

Tenpoint5

Only other thing I can think of is sending it to me and letting me experiment with it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I would do the smoke daddy as well.

Especially since the re-design I understand it works much better and is easier to clean.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TTNuge

My verdict on the Smoke Daddy is still out, even after the redesign.  I don't know a ton about fire and smoking and specific temps but I have read that if you burn wood at too low a temp you are creating much more creosote and harmful carcinogens.  The lack of creosote build up now that he has redesigned things is a good sign but I still question the setup a bit.  Hopefully a few more long term tests will show it's a good unit.

justwandr

I can definitely do the smoke daddy and it also looks a lot like the smoke pistol I have seen online too. Anyway my question to the experts is this. Is the food going to taste the same as it would in a normal smoker ie proofer turned to a smoker etc?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: justwandr on April 24, 2010, 07:17:28 AM
I can definitely do the smoke daddy and it also looks a lot like the smoke pistol I have seen online too. Anyway my question to the experts is this. Is the food going to taste the same as it would in a normal smoker ie proofer turned to a smoker etc?

Who knows, but it sure would be fun to play with.

My head is buzzing with things that could be done in it.

Quarlow

Wow that is a cool unit. I would grab that for a smoker in a big hurry before someone else got their hands on it. Smoke is smoke, if you can get enough smoke in it, it will smoke food fine. Just put a vent in the top. I am not familiar with the smoke daddy or the smoke pistol but I have seen the smoke pistol. I would use it and if that did put enough smoke in it just add another one.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

justwandr

Its pretty expensive to be playing around with just for the heck of it. However I can get it and put whatever that wil generate enough smoke to it. What I am really interested in knowing is how the chicken skin or skin itself is going to come out.

I am no expert in smoking...actually I haven't smoked anything in my life except when a friend of mine uses his smoker and I eat the food. I like Chicken juices to in the chicken with possibly crispy skin. Normally supermarkets uses these kind of ovens and the chickens that come out of those seem uncooked or just too juicey to me. Where you have flood of juices coming out.

So if anyone knows or has experience I like to know if the chicken is going to come out just like it would in a proofer turned smoker etc.

KevinG

Never tried smoking in my rotisserie, but I know when I cook chicken in it, it comes out with crispy skin. When I smoke a chicken it comes out with soggy skin unless I pull it and stick it in the oven to crisp it up. Who knows what's going to happen when you mix the two, but I suspect it will be crispy since the chicken skin rotates so that it faces the heating element.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG