My Latest Project.........

Started by Mr Walleye, July 16, 2008, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcs_n_Sparks

We be Arcin' & Sparkin'......... MORE POWER.......... :o :o :o

iceman

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on July 18, 2008, 06:59:05 PM
We be Arcin' & Sparkin'......... MORE POWER.......... :o :o :o

We can build it BIGGER......BETTER.....FASTER..... Thats right folks it swirls twirls hops and bops.... the new bionic smoker by ronco....but wait there's more.....if you call within the next ten minutes......we'll add an extra bubba puck... :D ;D ;)

Mr Walleye

I've got most of it re-insulated now. I'm just working on cutting down the top (previously the control panel). I'll update the photos when I get a little further along.

I modified the wiring diagram from Olds Recipe site to take into account the 2 SSRs. Let me know if you guys see any errors in my ways....

Click to enlarge...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Arcs_n_Sparks

Looks pretty good Mr. Walleye.....

I suspect in another fews years we will be reviewing your 208V 3 phase setup...    :o :o :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you are making a lot of progress. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I updated my wiring diagram. I added a dimmer switch to control the speed of the blower and I also added the power out to the smoke generator. Here is the updated picture.

Any glaring errors?

Click to enlarge...

Mike

pensrock

Looks like it should work. Only thing I noticed is there is no ground going to the controller (PID). Not experienced using Auber products there may not be a ground terminal on the instrument.  ???

Mr Walleye

Thanks Pens

I had a look at the Auber manual again and there is not a ground for the PID itself.

Mike

outlander

looks good there Walleye, out of my own coureosty,, will you be useing either of the two alarms to turn on /off the smoke generator?

outlander

Mr Walleye

Hey Outlander, good to here from you. I haven't seen you around the forum for a long time. I hope Cold Lake is still treatin' ya good!

I really hadn't given it much thought. In fact I would have to do a little "figurin" to figure it out. It's an interesting thought. If I remember correctly you did something similar with the alarms on your PID. I'd be very interested in hearing how you set it up. I'm assuming the alarm would run a relay or something like that. I can't remember, do the alarms work off temp or time? I really don't know a lot about the alarms or the settings for them. I'd appreciate any information from your experience.

I ended up upgrading to 2 - 1100 watt elements. I have pretty much all the parts and pieces except I'm still waiting for the elements and the box I'm mounting the controls in. Those two items were back ordered. I've got the smoker all riveted back together with the rock wool insulation in it, I've just been tinkering with the vent and mounting the smoke generator. I haven't started any of the wiring yet so I still have time for changes.

Mike

pensrock

There are many different types of alarms available in most instruments, I'm not familiar with the Auber though. I cannot say if the Auber has a timed alarm function.

I have one of my alarms set to act like a high limit, it will turn the heat off if the temp ever gets that high, it can be set to whatever temp you prefer. If that temp is acheaved it will open the control signal feeding the SSR, thereby shutting off the heat. I also have it set so it has to fall below the high temp setting and be acknowledged before turning heat back on. It could be set to automatically reset once the temp drops but most will not want to operate at that high of a temp also I want to be able to watch it if it happens the next time.

My other alarm turns on a timer when a certian temp is reached. For example if I set the alarm for 120 degrees, the timer won't function till the tower reaches 120 then the timer will shut the heat off when it times out. The timer can be set for however many hours you desire. This way its not timing during the recovery period after putting the product into the tower. I also have the time on a selector switch so I can deactivate the timer function if I want to. As the timer is configured now, I can time up to 99.9 hours. I think thats plenty.  :)

pens

West Coast Kansan

Mr. Walleye at some point you moving beyond a master craftsman  ;D

HEY OUTLANDER, welcome back.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Thanks Pens & WCK

If I understand it correctly the Auber uses temp to signal the alarm. It appears the Auber has 2 alarms. I just don't see how this would help my situation. Maybe I'm missing something or not fully understanding it.

Most of my use for this unit will be for sausage. My normal proceedure is to load the smoker and run it at about 120 or 130 for an hour or so to allow the sausage to dry somewhat. Then I boost the temp to 165 or 170 and start the smoke. I could easily enough use a regular timer to control the generator. If I turn the generator on at the same time I load the smoker, then "not" advance any pucks, this would give me my 1 hour before the smoke starts to roll and the generator would be pre-heated. As far as shutting the generator off the timer would look after that.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Geez... I thought things were finally looking up. A delivery truck showed up at my office today and had my two 1100 watt finned strip heaters. Excellent! Then I open the package and.... oh crap! they sent one 120 volt unit and the other 240 volts. To top it off when I called them they were already closed for the long weekend.

Man... This is sooooooooo my luck!  :'(

Mike

Patience

Using Auber alarm, yes, it works great.  I currently use the alarm on my OBS, it is triggered by temp.  My usual set up is start at 120* and ramp to 145 over 3 hours.  When the temp hits 145, the alarm is set to kick on and completes the circuit of the hot puck advance motor wire.  When the activated, 20 mins. later the motor advances the first puck and you're good to go.  Just remember to turn on the heat of the puck plate ahead of time!   ::)

PLUS, if you tie a string from the vent handle onto a small weight and place the weight on the top puck in the tower and adust the string tight, after it advances twice, the vent will be closed to 1/4th open.  The wires of my PID TC and meat probes prevent the vent closing all the way to ensure good air flow and now smoke back up.

Works like a charm.  AFter 4 hours of ramping to 165 while the smoke is on, the alarm will turn off at 165* and shuts the puck advance motor off, thus saving wear and tear.

Awesome project you have.

Do you plan on stuffing the frame tubes with your left over min. wool?  I bet you can have that thing tight as heck and could probably get away with lower wattage elements. 

Also, will you make a vent in the bottom at all?  I have wider unit but not as tall, and I don't think the opening for the SG will be enough vent, so was planning to make an adjustable vent in the very bottom.  Do you think one is necessary for yours??

Patience
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg