GRRR! Puck advance

Started by KyNola, July 20, 2008, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

My BDS now is sporatically advancing pucks.  The first 3 cycles of today's smoking project did not automatically advance.  I had to hit the advance button each time.  It simply is not cycling.  It started this little trick a while back but then seemed to stop doing it.  Before you ask, yes, I'm out of warranty. >:(

Frustratung to say the least.  Am going to contact Bradley.

KyNola

rcger

Have you taken it apart and cleaned it?  There's a post in here somewhere.  You could search for it.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

KyNola

I have cleaned it on more than one occasion.  First time I opened it, I found the plastic box that houses several connections to be flopping around in the generator.  When it was installed, the person on the business end of the screwdriver managed to tighten it so hard that it literally broke all 4 of the corners off the box.

I love the way it performs but if you can't rely on the digital portion to do what it is supposed to, you might as well own the OBS.

KyNola

MWS

KyNola

Try this.

1. Plug the unit in, then press the feed button and pull the cord mid cycle or before
2. Plug the unit it back in, let it cycle to where it wants to, then press the feed button.

I know it sounds strange but I got this trick from a member a couple of years ago. It never fails. I think it resets or re-calibrates the timer. Good luck.

Cheers

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Mr Walleye

KyNola

MWS has the solution to one issue that happens every once in a while. You may still want to contact Bradley, especially taking into consideration the fact there are broken parts from the factory, regardless of the warranty. Habs is working on a FAQ's and he and I have had a discussion regarding this. He has even taken the time to tear down his generator and observe it in operation regarding advancing a puck with the "advance button" vs the puck advancing in the "timed cycle" automatically.

Anyway here is the FAQ on this as we have it so far....

Q. Why do my bisquettes advance using the Advance Button, but are not properly advancing Automatically every 20 minutes?

A. Compliments of Thunderfish (Terry)
For the automatic time cycle to operate properly the motor must run counter clockwise. There are times the manual advance cycle will come out of synchronization with the automatic timed cycle. This could be caused by a voltage drop or some other electrical interference while the generator is running. When this occurs the automatic timed cycle will run the motor clockwise. This prevents the switch and contacts from activating in the proper sequence, and prevents the bisquettes from advancing. Generally the motor will self correct, but there may be times when it requires an owner's intervention. (Also some have reported that when the motor runs clockwise the armature does not turn smoothly.)

To correct this problem, turn the generator on, and push the Advance Button to start the automatic timed cycle. In approximately 20 minutes the automatic timed cycle will begin to move the mechanism (you should hear it start to cycle) pull the plug on the generator while the mechanism is moving, then plug it back in. The motor should correct itself, begin turning counter clockwise the next time it cycles, and it should start advancing your bisquettes normally.

If the problem persists, contact Bradley customer service.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Thanks for the assistance everyone.  Will give it a try!

KyNola