DBS Temps

Started by bsheger, July 20, 2008, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aha638

I always monitor the exit temp at the vent - I drilled a hole in the vent cover for my cabinet probe.  I monitor my meat temps with probes that are run through the door seal -- works fine for me.

I might add the temperature with in the cabinet varies a lot top to bottom and front to back so all you are doing is reading the temp at the probe tip and the rest of the cabinet temps will be different - that is why I settled for the exit temp.

I also place my temperature controller probe next to my cabinet probe - second hole.

Al

bigcatdaddy

My DBS has variances where ever I place my probe.  If I stick it on the top rack there is a 30 degree difference (the bradley is 30 degrees cooler than the bradley display).  If I place it underneth the bottom rack it tends to run a little warmer than the DBS display.  I generally place under the second rack from the bottom which gives me the a reading that runs pretty close to the bradley.  With temps running in different areas of the DBS, rotating racks up and down and front to back is a must with medium to long smoke times.

smokin_up_north

I have a quick question about the max temp of the DBS.  I read in the manual to not exceed 280 F, but I've also read on the web page for the DBS that it can go up to 320 F.  I'm hoping to be able to use the smoker every once in a while after work, but guests aren't always patient enough for a 10pm dinner.   ;)  I know I won't get as good a smoke from cooking that fast, but it will still put a hint of flavour in there.

P.S. About to start my first smoke in 23 minutes.  :)  If this clock moves any slower I think I might explode!!!  Smoked Salmon.  I hope it turns out well!

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the DBS, but I would guess that the the 280°F recommendation takes in the temperature variance and how the thermostat works in the DBS. In some post I have read the target temperature can be over shot by 20°F. So if you set it at 280°F it may reach 300° or more before the heat is turned off.

You can do what many members do, which is to remove the food from the smoker after you have applied the smoke, and finish in an oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

I dont think you are going to have issues with the DBS and having to worry about the maximum temperature.  The only cooking power you have is 6 100W light bulbs.  It is going to take too long for a quick meal after work and be able to eat before 10. Looking for that kind of speed you need to bake in your house oven.

Not what this smoker was intended to do... ;)

As the temperature of the load starts to go up the amount of fluctuation reduces. A setting of 280 is going to be full ON for a very very long time.  If the temp of what your smoking gets to 280 it is not likely going on your plate anyway but the temperature fluctuation is going to be real close to zero. ;D 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)