Newbie/Mawgie: Problems with PID build (case/thermocouple)

Started by Mawgie, July 21, 2008, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mawgie

Folks-

Newbie Mawgie here, the same newbie that scored that BSS for $203.  Well, I'm here to tell you, instant karma didn't wait to long to get a piece of me!  Here's the deal:

1- I am a decent woodworker, and so, with all the DIY PID info on this website, I thought, no worries, I got this;
2- bought the parts from Auber, as readily indicated on this website;
3- bought the ABS project box from RadioShack, and didn't like it much;
4- ended up tossing the box, minus much of its hide, 'cause it is so flimsy (no disrespect intended to anyone that uses it);

In other research, I see that Mr Walleye has a dandy PID, made out of leadweighted 4" 45 degree capped PVC.  I'm headed that way.  My questions:

1- I have the standard K Auber thermocouple, and would like a disconnect at the base of the PID (a la MrWalleye), that would allow me to attach either a smoker probe, or a Souse Vide/crockpot probe.  From what I understand, that's tough, because smoker probes are housed in braided steel, and the SousVide probes are skinny, in silicone. 

2- Can you set up a PID with a disconnect that will accept probes for both smoker foods and crockpot foods?

3- Can I modify the probe I have, or do I need to start from scratch?

Please help.
I promised my wife a smoked chicken that I have not delivered.....

Regards=-Mawgie

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mawgie on July 21, 2008, 06:05:32 PM
I have the standard K Auber thermocouple, and would like a disconnect at the base of the PID (a la MrWalleye), that would allow me to attach either a smoker probe, or a Souse Vide/crockpot probe.  From what I understand, that's tough, because smoker probes are housed in braided steel, and the SousVide probes are skinny, in silicone. 

Mawgie,

Welcome. Are these other probes you refer to type K thermocouples? If not, then you are out of luck. If they are also type K TCs, then this should be straightforward.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr Walleye

Arcs & Mawgie

I agree with Arcs, the only thing I wonder about is what type of TC wire to use between the PID and the TC panel mount plug. I know on mine I used a piece of the wire off the end of my Omega TC. I've heard people commenting before to make sure you use the same wire. I would give it a shot and see how it works.

Great idea on making it multipurpose.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mawgie

Folks -

I don't think the two probes can share the same disconnect.
The K type thermocouple has two wires.
The immersible RTD probe has three wires.

Here's the auberins immersible probe:
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=46

That leaves me with this question.
Can I simply wire up the immersible probe for use in both the smoker and the crockpot, and use it for both, or will the immersion probe underperform in some way in the smoker cabinet?

Thanks-Mawgie

Mr Walleye

Mawgie

The Temp rating looks fine but I would send Suyi Liu from Auber Instruments a quick email asking that exact question. He is really good at getting back to you right away. Here is his email address....

[email protected]

Let us know what you find out.

Mike

pensrock

Mike, there is thermocouple wire and thermocouple extention wire. Many people get confused and just ask for type K wire. The wire is used to make a type K thermocouple where the extention wire is just that, it connects the thermocouple to the controller if the leads are not long enough. And yes the extention wire has to match the type of thermocouple. Type, C, J, K, N, R&S as well as others. I would think the Auber can handle RTD's but I have not used the Auber controller so it's best to follow Mikes suggestion and contact the factory. Arcs is right the RTD and T/C are not interchangable just by plugging one in. The instrument would require reconfiguring each time the probes were changed.

Arcs_n_Sparks

A quick read of the Auber PID controllers indicate they can accept multiple sensor types, including both TCs and RTDs. Just have to be sure you get things wired and configured correctly. It may not be simple plug and play, but probably not too hard to accommodate both types.

Mr Walleye

Arcs

Your right, it is just a simple setting on the controller software.

Pens

Thanks for the clarification on the TC wire vs the TC extension wire.

Mike