smoked oysters??

Started by deadeye, December 11, 2004, 03:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

I have not got my Bradley in yet but I will this week. Has anyone ever done some smoked oysters?? I was thinking about throwring some on when I cook some ribs and chicken.

Thanks

Derek

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

not yet , but if you do a search there are a few threads on smoked  oysters.

tsquared

I haven't smoked oysters yet, Deadeye, but I'm sure going to. One of my buddies from my commercial fishing days has an oyster lease and brought me a jar of oysters he had smoked--delicious! I didn't get the recipe from him, so I'll have to search around too. If you try it, let us know the results and I'll do the same.
Update: Found a simple recipe that sounds good.
1 pint shucked oysters
olive oil
1/4 cup your favourite rub
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter
1 lemon
Bring smoker up to 200-225 F. Drain oysters, pat dry.
Coat lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with rub. Let sit until rub starts to glisten. Oil your grates and smoke for one hour with your choice of wood. Oysters should be springy to the touch and have taken on a golden smokey hue.
You can either eat them as is or quickly pan fry in butter with salt and pepper and squeeze of lemon. (From Barbecue Secrets by Ron Shewchuck)

That sounds so good I'm going to have to run out and try some next time I'm smoking![:)]
Tom

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

I've been too busy to  fire up the smoker since I posted that, Dow. My partner is quite sick so I've been running her in and out of town to the doctor's for a couple of weeks.  However, I'm putting about 10 lbs of spring(king) salmon fillets into the brine tomorrow am and will be smoking them on Wednesday or Thursday. I plan to put a couple of pints of oysters on at the same time. Between the salmon and the oyters I should be a happy camper.[:)]I'll let you know how it goes.

deadeye

When I made them in the past we put them on a gas grill and put worchester sause on them, chopped green onions, parmesan cheese, bacon bits and we cooked them for just a few minutes then right when we took them off the grill we put tabasco on them and eat them they are awesome like that. I think I am going to use my recipe plus some ideas from Bradleys!!!! Good luck guys!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys i got this recipe off the bradley recipe page sounds pretty good.

Ingredients
• 24 oysters

Marinade:
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
• 5 ml (1 tsp) dry mustard
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) curry powder

Preparation
Combine marinade ingredients together in a medium size non-metallic bowl and mix well. Remove oysters from their shells. Keep at least one half shell for each oyster. Place oysters in marinade for approximately 30 minutes, turning once. Replace oysters in their half shell and add a little of the marinade to each one.

Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to 100°C (220°F). Place the oysters in their half shells on smoker racks and using Apple flavor bisquettes smoke/cook for 40 to 60 minutes or until cooked.

To Serve
Serve hot with Tabasco sauce or Wasabe on the side

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deadeye</i>
<br />When I made them in the past we put them on a gas grill and put worchester sause on them, chopped green onions, parmesan cheese, bacon bits and we cooked them for just a few minutes then right when we took them off the grill we put tabasco on them and eat them they are awesome like that. I think I am going to use my recipe plus some ideas from Bradleys!!!! Good luck guys!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys i got this recipe off the bradley recipe page sounds pretty good.

Ingredients
• 24 oysters

Marinade:
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
• 5 ml (1 tsp) dry mustard
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) curry powder

Preparation
Combine marinade ingredients together in a medium size non-metallic bowl and mix well. Remove oysters from their shells. Keep at least one half shell for each oyster. Place oysters in marinade for approximately 30 minutes, turning once. Replace oysters in their half shell and add a little of the marinade to each one.

Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to 100°C (220°F). Place the oysters in their half shells on smoker racks and using Apple flavor bisquettes smoke/cook for 40 to 60 minutes or until cooked.

To Serve
Serve hot with Tabasco sauce or Wasabe on the side
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds like a great recipe, Deadeye.  How did your oysters come out?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

After talking about smoked oysters for over a week, I finally got around to smoking a dozen last night while I was doing some onions . I sprinkled a bit of rub on lightly oiled oysters and let them sit while I finished cutting the onions. Put them in for 1 hour with maple at 200F. Stood on my porch smelling the maple smoke mixed with onion and oyster and enjoyed a Guiness while admiring the winter wonderland. Got cursed at by my brother in Calgary when I phoned him to share my enjoyment of what was on the menu. Tsk, tsk, those Albertans have no sense of humour whatsoever. About 15 minutes before the hour was up, I sauteed some diced onion and sweet pepper in a mix of sesame and safflower oil with s & p to taste. Pulled out the oysters and threw them in the fry pan and added a whack of baby spinach greens with the juice of 1 lemon just long enough to wilt the greens. Served it up with some sweet Thai chili sauce for some heat along with Thai rice and yams---oooh yeah! I'll be adding that to the regular repetoire for sure.
Tom
PS-Chez, don't try this recipe without plenty of warning for the Mrs.![:D]