Brisket

Started by cheeks7799, July 24, 2008, 08:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeks7799

I am new to this smoker and would like a great recipe and step by step instructions on making a beef brisket.  I tried some brisket last summer and it was to die for, adn would love to be able to make it myself.  If anyone could help out that would be great!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum cheeks7799!

For brisket, you can keep in simple, with WildCat's method:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7524.msg77045#msg77045

Or your favorite spice rub.

I would give it no more than 4 hours of your favorite smoke @200F and cook until an internal temperature of 190F - depending on the size of the brisket.

Once the smoke is done, you can leave it in the bradley or wrap in foil and transfer to a 200F oven.

I would rotate the rack front-to-back every couple of hours, the heat in the bradley is not as even as we would like.

In matters of brisket, I would defer to WTS and Nepasmoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I like using a packer trimmed brisket 10-12 lb sealed in cry-o-vac and let it age in the fridge for about 3-4 weeks, if you go with a market trimmed vac seal it a let it sit for the same time, not entirely neccesary, just something I've always done seems to help tenderize it.  The day before your smoke pull the brisket out of its package and trim just a bit of the fat, not to much, you to leave most of it intact, it will come off after cooked.  Cover with your favorite rub, I like to use the willys from SS book, there are several other recipes on the site.  Place into a large ziploc and back into the fridge overnight.  Next day remove from the fridge and ziploc and let sit on the counter for an hour while your smoker is heating up to 220, place into your smoker with the fat cap on top, and smoke with your choice of wood.  I prefer mesquite, shocking I know!  ;D  Smoke for 4-5 hours, pull from smoker and into a foil pan still fat side up tightly covered with foil and into your house oven at 200 for another 14-18 hours.  If you want to finish in the smoker that works too, I finish in the house because I usually have other things to get into the smoker!  Shoot for an IT of 190-200, pull from pan and your fat cap will slide right off, pour juice from pan into a pot along with your fat cap a let simmer for some awesome sauce or make some burnt ends.  Wrap your brisket tightly in foil, then a towel and into a cooler (hence FTC)  and let it rest for a few hours or longer if need be, remove from cooler and slice thinly.  Enjoy with your favorite sides and a cold beverage!  Oh yeah and welcome to the forum cheeks7799!

Here's one I did
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7409.0

Dang I've made myself hungry!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

cheeks7799

Thank you, for all your help, I will definelty try this out!

chilipeppergal

Why the yellow mustard?  I've never done a brisket in the smoker before, just in the oven, but I've never used mustard. ???

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum peppergal!

No mustard on my brisket!  I only do the CYM on pork!

C

chilipeppergal

Thanks WTS.  When I bought my OBS a friend said to put mustard on everything before you smoke it.  So far I haven't tried it.  BTW great site.  If I have a question I can usually find the answer.   ;D

chilipeppergal

What part of west Texas?  Southeaster New Mexico gal myself.

westexasmoker

Pretty close to ya, good ole Lubbock!

C

chilipeppergal

Yep! Only a couple of hours from here.  Gotta go pull lunch out of the smoker. 

West Coast Kansan

Welcome cheeks,  click the smoker below and you will be directed to a really fine reciepe site.  Let us know how the smoking goes. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)