Getting in touch with my inner Brisket

Started by FLBentRider, July 25, 2008, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I picked up a 13lb USDA Prime Angus brisket today. Problem is, it's a little big for the Bradley.

Should I just carve it in half or try to separate the flat from the point ?

I've only ever done flats.

I'm going to put a rub on it, and put 4 hours of, yes, mesquite on , then into a cast iron roasting pan, foil tent. 200F convection oven unti and internal IT of 190.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Prime Angus brisket and Mesquite, sir you have my complete attention with those words!  ;D  You could separate it to make it fit, but I would try my best to squeeze it onto the rack if at all possible.  But you gotta do what ya gotta do!  Don't forget your camera whilst doing this beauty!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

The fat cap is pretty thick in spots, should I trim or leave alone ?

I'll have pics as soon as I get home.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

You can trim a little if ya want, I like to leave as much as possible.  It'll slide right off after its done.  I've got to pull one out of the fridge tonight for its initial rub down!

C

FLBentRider

Here she is -

I'm pretty sure the point kinda wraps around the end of the flat, making it longer.

If I separate them, I can cook them separately, since they are different thicknesses they will be done at different times....

Or should I just whack it down the middle ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Thats a beauty FL, I see your dilema with it not fitting on your rack!  As far as cutting it really its six, one, half dozen the other...either way you want to go won't be wrong!  And from the looks of it, ya could do a little fat trimming just don't get carried away!  You got me ready to get home and get started on mine!  ;)

C

Habanero Smoker

If you are going to cut it up before smoking I would seperate the point from the flat. There is a vein of fat that seperates the two cuts. Just follow the fat vein.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Habs nailed that one dead on, after ya cut that fat ribbon out you might be able to compress it enough to fit on your rack without cutting it apart, doubt it from the size of that one but give it a try!  Mines just out of the fridge, just a measly 9.6 pounder and it is just a smidge to big for the rack, but after it goes under the knife it should fit!

C

westexasmoker

Allright FL here's mine, not near the fat cap yours has, I'm a wee bit brisket envy  ;)

And here is the fat vein cut out, that Habs was talking about.  Sometimes I cut them, most times I don't , but I never remove the whole thing, all depends on the brisket.  And then into its sleeping bag with rub of love for tommorrow smoke.

Did you wind up cutting it into?

C

FLBentRider

I think I got the two separated:

Kosher Salt, Fresh ground Pepper , Olive Oil Rubbed and ready:

Just loaded up the OBS with 4 hours of MESQUITE, PID set to 200 - I'll get up @ 0100 and change the water bowl - 0700 pull it out of the bradley and into the cast-iron roasting pan, foil cover, 205F convection oven.

Any suggestions on a liquid to add the to pan ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

FL those look great! As far as liquid I'm so old school its not even funny, I just use water....I've thought about adding some liquid smoke to my water pan....guess which one  ;D  Can't wait to see the end of this project!  Looks Great!  Once again I have brisket envy, all I get is select not prime!  Keep us posted!

C

La Quinta

HOLY COW  :o ....I'm hungry and curious....serious jewels you got there....lovely meat...let us know...I've been a wee bit shy about brisket...it is tricky. Done pastrami a couple of times...(which is laborious...yet delicious) but just smoking one...not so much.

FLBentRider

I just changed the water bowl and rotated racks. It smells SOOOOO good already....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

They've been in the oven for about an hour, the flat has an IT of 176F

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kiyotei

Thank God I bought a brisket last night to smoke or I would be sooo jealous.  Mine is only 7.5lbs, I wanted bigger but it was all they had :(  Its a good idea to score the fat cap in a criss crossed pattern with a knife before smoking.  Guess its too late now.  I would smoke it more like 5 hours.  I just found out I don't have any mesquite left:(  I'll have to just use hickory, sorry TX don't hate me.  Speaking of TX, I was just down there in San Antonio and Houston for a week of work.  While in Houston I ate a lot of brisket, mmmmm brisket.  I was gonna start my own brisket thread today since I have not done one in a while but after seeing that monster brisket I'm a bit "brisket" shy:))