Getting in touch with my inner Brisket

Started by FLBentRider, July 25, 2008, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

After six hours @200F the flat is at 204F (gotta love oven thermostats, is there a PID for a Jenn-Air?)

The point is 195F

Leave in oven for another couple of hours or go ahead and FTC ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I bet your good to go for FTC, hows your fat cap is it nice and loose?  Just threw mine into the smoker and won't be done till tomorrow, but I want it now!  Where are the pics FL!  ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

I didn't check the fat cap, they're both in FTC now. I'll post pics when then come out of FTC, before and after carving, if I can keep the family behind the (velvet) rope that long...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

W O W ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
O M G ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The Flat, is gone. Pics to follow shortly.

Best Beef BBQ We've ever had.

The Point is still in FTC.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

So we done good!  See I'm good for something! Mesquite!   ::)  Can't wait to see the pics!

FLBentRider

Pictures - Ask, and Ye Shall receive:

Just out of FTC -

Sliced:

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

I have to admit that there is some Magic going on with Mesquite on a a Beef Brisket.

I'm not ready to give up my Hickory on Pork, Chicken, Almonds, etc. but I have a new respect for mesquite on beef.

I thought that four hours might be a bit much, but it was perfect.

And we still have yet to break into the point. From what I understand it is B E T T E R ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

deb415611

Wow,  that looks awesome.  I have only tried brisket once and it was a little dry and didn't go over that well.   It sure didn't look like that one. 

FLBentRider

deb415611,

The first brisket I did a few months ago turned out like yours. It was a Sams brisket. This one was from a butcher shop. I don't remember the USDA grade of the Sams brisket, but the one I just did was Prime and Angus to boot.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

FL,

Mine was from BJ's so probably similar grade to your Sam's one.  I'll have to see what I can get at the butcher and try again.  I'm not sure about the mesquite though . 

westexasmoker

That looks awesome FL!  Mine is still in the oven rockin and a rolling!  Oh come to the dark side Deb a bit of mesquite is a good thing!  ;D

C

deb415611

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 27, 2008, 09:43:16 AM
That looks awesome FL!  Mine is still in the oven rockin and a rolling!  Oh come to the dark side Deb a bit of mesquite is a good thing!  ;D

C

but wts,  I spent years telling my son not to give in to peer pressure, to be his own person, how would it look if I did just because you think I should....

Consiglieri

Nice job!  

I did the oven-boat trick on the last brisket I made, and it turned out delicious, tender, and moist.  We're headed to the fair today, and I'm hoping to find a brisket sammie.  I'm sure it won't measure up, but I need to feed the beast after seeing those pictures.  Ribs for dinner, but now I need brisket too.  
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

I decided that since the first one did not turn out the way I wanted, and I had kinda done my own thing recipe-wise, I decided to go full Texas-style brisket, mesquite and all.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!