Cured sausage

Started by Tim, December 11, 2004, 08:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Hello there this is my first post, I got my BS yesterday and seasoned it already. I have cured some liver sausage salami chorizo style hanging in my utility room and when I smoke my first venison sausages tomorrow evening as a cold smoke would it be ok to put the salami in or should I have done it before I dryed them? I know that to hot smoke it is almost the same time as a BBQ but how long for cold smoking? I have some venison steaks that I will smoke into jerky/biltong and does this have to be hot or cold smoked for the biltong?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome to the bradley family, well if you are going to do a cold smoke , leave your bradly temp off and only turn on you smoke genarator, you might want to fill the bowl with ice to help keep temp down , on a cold day with the smoke gen only on you will have a cabnet temp between 80 and 90, with ice in bowl you should be able to keep it below 80, smoke for about 3 hours, you just want a smoke flavor right you dont want to cook it? for jerky you want to hot smoke at a low temp around 150 , what is biltong?  
also go to this link for more help on cold smoking box for bradley
http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Tim

Biltong is a jerky but South African I guess! Thanks for the reply I am hot smoking now and will throw the jerky in.