Vacuum sealing raw Salmon

Started by FLBentRider, August 02, 2008, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I just scored some Wild Salmon @ Sams for 8.88/lb. I want to vac seal and freeze for later. Maybe even stock up for my one day window to cold smoke in the "winter".

I think I read somewhere that it will seal better if I freeze or partially freeze it before sealing ?

or was that Cheese ?

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

The freeze helps keep the piece from getting flattened out when the vac pack pulls down.  I would freeze it, then pack. Freezing is expecially good idea once it is cooked or the vac pack will really break it up. 
When I see those deals for stock up, I will usually ask the counter guy for some they have not yet thawed.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Kummok

It's a lot less messy if you freeze it first. But the way I process salmon with my "paper towel lasagna" method, it seals fine without freezing.........

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

Depends on how much time you have... before you vac pack.  The freeze is not a big deal on how well it seals as much as protecting the condition of what you are freezing.  I guess hard is better if your not hurried.

Kummok posted a nice hint above if you scored a quite a lot. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Back when I owned a boat I used to catch a lot of fresh fish.  After cleaning, if I needed to freeze any for future use, I would simply freeze the fish in water.  Never loses the fresh taste, and will last a very long time in the freezer.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

I'm in the same boat as FL, I've been buying salmon when its on sale and waiting for winter time for some cold smoke.  I've vac sealed it and into the freezer,but I've put it all into one bag.  Should I have done these seperately or am I gonna have one big mess?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

Doesn't matter that much whether it's hard or partial frozen as long as it's not "dripping" if you're using a Foodsaver style sealer. If you're using a chamber style you can seal water so no need to freeze first. With the Foodsaver type, you're only freezing to prevent "goo" being sucked into the tray/pump. In the past I've used a rolled up portion of paper towel placed in the bag after the meat goes in and before sealing, to "trap" the juices before they get into the seal area, but evolving to the the lasagna method eliminated all the "goo" concerns and makes the whole processing operation SO much cleaner. It also helps reduce slime loving bacteria growth on the meat.

When you're filleting/boning/whacking/skinning/trimming into your final portion size, just put all your finish meat chunks on top of 2-3 layers of paper towels, then separate each subsequent layer with 2-3 paper towel layers..... (hence the descriptive term I use, "paper towel lasagna"). You'll like the resulting non-slimy meat handling. It also helps keep the meat from breaking down as fast while in refrigerator storage for a few days to let the pin bones harden for pulling.....

I've used Wildcat's submerge and freeze in the past and it works great for those that don't have or don't want to use a vac sealer....just takes a little more room in the freezer. Just remember to check it once in a while if you have it frozen for a long time....ice evaporates in the freezer and any exposed meat will be freezer burnt almost immediately....kind like getting a whole punched in the vac seal bag. :o