puck advancer? getting stuck

Started by angus mcblack, August 04, 2008, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angus mcblack

the motor works fine but the arm gets stuck in the same place every time it rotates and wont push out a new one. cannot find anything interfering with the movement. any ideas? this would be the second smoke generator i have had to replace for this same reason and suspect it can be fixed rather than replace a whole generator.

Habanero Smoker

It sounds like you have something blocking the track, check the mechanism one more time. Many use can air or an air compressor to blow out any loose particles. If that still doesn't work, you can try this.

Q. Why do my bisquettes advance using the Advance Button, but are not properly advancing Automatically every 20 minutes?

A. Solution to the problem by Thunderfish (Terry); Clarification by Mike (Mr. Walleye)
For the automatic time cycle to operate properly the motor must run counter clockwise. There are times the manual advance cycle will come out of synchronization with the automatic timed cycle. This could be caused by a voltage drop or some other electrical interference while the generator is running. When this occurs the automatic timed cycle will run the motor clockwise. This prevents the switch and contacts from activating in the proper sequence, and prevents the bisquettes from advancing. Generally the motor will self correct, but there may be times when it requires an owner's intervention. (Also some have reported that when the motor runs clockwise the armature does not turn smoothly.)

To correct this problem, turn the generator on, and push the Advance Button to start the automatic timed cycle. This will start the automatic timed cycle at the beginning of its 20 minute cycle. This gives you the opportunity of not having to stand around. You can leave and return about 18 minutes later. In approximately 20 minutes the automatic timed cycle will begin to move the mechanism (you should hear it start to cycle) pull the plug on the generator while the mechanism is moving, then plug it back in. The motor should correct itself, begin turning counter clockwise the next time it cycles, and it should start advancing your bisquettes normally. Load two bisquettes; or if you have some Bubba Pucks load them instead to check if the generator is properly advancing the bisquettes.

If the problem persists, contact Bradley customer service.

PS
I forgot to welcome you to the forum.

I also forgot to mention, if the above tip works, and this has happened to you before you may want to check what other electrical equipment is on that circuit that may have caused the electrical interruption.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

angus mcblack

thanks. i will try that. it seems like it is hetting hung on something so will try the canned air. will let you know.

West Coast Kansan

Good advice above.  Hoping you are keeping your vent open so no smoke / moisture is backing into the generator. Too bad about getting two..   :(

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

angus mcblack

thats what happened the first time i was closing the vent for more heat. learned that lesson. but this time i am not sure what happened. cleaned it real well and still not working. the arm gets stuck in rotation every time. do new motors come with arms or can just the arm be replaced. it does not appear to be an electrical problem. if i need a new generator wheres the best place to get it?

Habanero Smoker

If it is under warranty Bradley will replace it.

If you have to purchase one, Yard & Pool sells replacement parts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Is the pusher pulling back far enough to get a puck to drop from the tube onto the runway?

beefmann

might try a good steam cleaning on the puck advance where the pucks lay, I  have noticed that on mine it gets gummy and needs to be cleaned. only way that i found is to steaam clean it  with the steam  shark ( house hold  steam cleaner ) and seems to work quite well