FTC Question

Started by jayhawkintx, August 04, 2008, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayhawkintx

Just wondering how much the IT will raise during the FTC process? Anyone ever put a probe in and checked this out?

Going to do my first brisket and after reaching 185 IT going to FTC then go on a 4 hour road trip. Any problems with that? From what I have seen here it doesnt sound like it would cause any issues, just dont want to end up with pulled brisket.

Also this forum is great. I am new to the BDS and so far have only had great results, pulled pork, garlic smoked chicken, ribs, and of course ABT's. Thanks to these forums.

Gizmo

The IT may rise 5 degrees after pulling out for FTC.  I have never really watched it carefully to verify my answer.  If you have the brisket wrapped tight or in a foil pan with a foil lid, and into a pre-heated (hot water for 20 minutes) 5 or 6 day cooler, the brisket will hold on the 4 hour trip and then some.  This is not to say that the extra long time in FTC won't tenderize the brisket a bit beyond the slicing stage unless you have a good sharp knife.  I tend to think tender is better than chewy and is always easier to state that was the intended consistency as anyone can make a piece of rubber out of meat. ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

I think you'll be fine!  The IT does not seem to go up that much more with a brisket in the FTC, but it pulls back in some juice which is what ya want.  Just make sure you cut against the grain, and it changes when you hit the point....BTW the point is great for shredded beef sandwich!  Oh and of course, Use mesquite!
,pork ,
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Kansan

JayhawkinTX.  I am guessing you did some time in East KS.  Welcome to this forum and sorry about the relocation. I think they use mesquite in TX  :(  Lots of good people and advice here in anycase!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

westexasmoker

Giz got it right on the nail, FTC will pull the juice and temp back in for a good long while..the key when cutting is a good sharp knife, and I like to let rest after the FTC, again on the counter for a bit, and no not cold but cooled down enough the blade cuts smooth and through!  Also the flat cuts easier than the point, but always remeber the grain changes direction!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo is about right with the amount of rise in temperature. The rise (carry over) in temperature depends on many things; weight, size, type of cut of meat; temperature cooked at; internal temperature it was cooked to and ambient temperature at rest (the faster the surface cools will lessen the rise in temperature). Using the FTC method the rise will be higher then if you just tented, but not much. The main difference is that the internal meat temperature will be sustained over a longer period of time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokeDogg

I've done 2 briskets now.  The first one I FTCd for about 6 hours and it was great!  The second one I FTCd for 4 hours and it was a bit dry.  I'll tell you what the difference was.
With the first one. I took about a half cup of apple juice and put a couple spoonfulls of bbq sauce in it.  Then microwaved it until it bubbled.  I then poured that into the foil with the brisket and wrapped it up tight in a double layer of foil, a couple beach towels and into the cooler.  When i pulled the brisket out to slice 6 hours later, there was no juice or liquid left in the foil!  The meat absorbed it during the FTC.  It was a great brisket.  Just a little tip I thought I would share.

SmokeDogg

jayhawkintx

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how it turns out.

West Coast Kansan, yeap moved here from Kansas about 2 years ago, from a little town outside Wichita.

West Coast Kansan

Overland Park / really Stanley-Stilwell area.  Looking for the ruby slippers that will get me home some day... Still have 5 years to go or maybe 6... someday.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

jayhawkintx

Well it went well. FTC worked out great.

You can check out my blog for pictures and the full report.

http://jayhawkintx.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the help. Smoke on!!

mavrickone

Hi Jayhawk!
    Those pics look awsome! I have been threatening to smoke a brisket ever since I got my BS but this far have done ribs,pork roast(cheated a little on them and got the ones with the pop up timer ;D),chicken breast,turkey breast and of course ABTs.
    I have since became a Bradley dealer and  the only other dealer close is BassPro where I got mine and when I went in to look at them there wasn't anyone that could tell me anything about them so I decided to start carrying them.
    I will suck it up and do a brisket probably next weekend and your results pushed me over the edge  :D.
    This is a great forum with some of the most helpful and friendly people on the planet and I am going to try and make more time to get on here.

Mav