Summer Sausage

Started by Bassman, December 12, 2004, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Hello Everyone,
My brother in-law got a deer this year, he bought one of those sausage making kits from Cabelas. It was a Hi-Mountain Summer Sausage kit.He made the sausage and I smoked it for him. Came out really good.Just followed the directions that came with it.Dried it for 1 hr@120F without smoke, then went to 190F with smoke (hickory) until internal temp was 156F. Fried some up with eggs this morning for breakfast.Excellent!I highly reccommend Hi-Mountains products. Each casing holds about 3lbs of meat.He gave me a casing for smoking it for him.[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Hey Bassman,
Did you take a sandblaster to your smoker?  The inside looks ultra shiny?  Maybe it's just the flash...

Thanks for the info on the summer sausage.  Is that one of those "everything you need" kits with the spice, casings, etc.  The size looks like the bologna kit that Bigsmoker did.

Done any of your deer sausage lately?  I think my Dad and brother are doing up a batch of our elk/pork garlic sausage this week for Christmas[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

whitetail,
sorry it took so long to respond,I'm on the run all week long. The inside of my smoker is as black as black can be.It is just the flash that makes it look shiney.Yes the sausage kit was a complete kit, casings,seasonings everything.

I have not done any venison sausage yet but I really have an itch to do a batch.(Kirk should have fun with this one). I have 10lbs of venison in the freezer.I have some new seasoning ideas I want to try.I'll be sure to post the results.
But first I have to give away what I have left from last year.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BigSmoker

It looks just like the bologna did.  I bought direct from hi-mtn.  Don't know if its cheaper or not?  I bet the only difference between the bologna and the summer sausage is the spice packet.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.