more than one pork butt

Started by irish34, August 01, 2008, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish34

i first must say that i love my bradley and that this forum has been like gold for this new smoker all the info has helped tremendously.
my question is if i am smoking more than one pork butt do i have to tranfer my maverick probe from one butt to another or is keeping it in one butt for the duration and when the one is up to temp just assume that thhe others are up to temp.
thanks for any helpful info.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  My recommendation is to rotate your racks and keep the probe in whichever is closest to the heat source(s).  Better yet, rotate racks and obtain another probe.  I purchased an instant read thermometer and use it and my Maverick.  The instant read comes in handy with grilling and many other things as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum irish34!

I usually put the probe in the smallest one, but when I rotate racks, I spot check each one. I have had some butts take 3-4 hours longer than others in the same load.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hillbillysmoker

I use an additional food probe plugged into the other side of my Maverick 73 which is supposed to monitor cabinet temperature. It works great and additional probes are available on line.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

When I have a second piece of meat in the smoker, I just shove the cabinet probe from my Maverick into it.  Probably going to purchase the dual meat probe model Maverick yet, so I can temp 3 pieces and the cabinet, or 4 pieces.