3 racks full!

Started by KyNola, August 10, 2008, 09:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

One rack full of ABT's.(first attempt at those), One rack full of chicken wings marinaded in Frank's Wing Sauce and one rack full of wings rubbed with Jan's Rub.  Two hours of maple and apple wood.  Total cook time will probably take longer on the wings.  It will be getting hot all up in here this afternoon! :o

Sunday's are for smoking or gumbo making at my house.  What's cooking at yours?

KyNola

love the smoke

Smoker full of polish kilbasa and I have 3 loins soaking in maple syrup getting ready to smoke also

LTS
LTS

KyNola

WOW!  It all turned out really well.  I just hate it when bacon fat drips down on my chicken wings don't you? :D  ABT's were awesome.  Will definitely be making a substantial amount of those for the next party.

KyNola

Mr Walleye

Those all sound great guys!  ;)

I have 6 racks of back ribs in right now.

I had the last week off and was staying at the lake with some friends. Thursday morning I snuck into town and put a 10 to 12 lb butt in. I can back into town the next morning and FTC's it and took it too the lake. I did this one at 205 degrees and it was in for pretty much 24 hours. It was FTC'd for about 6 hours... man, I could barley pick that sucker up, just fell apart. Turned out really good. Everybody was real pleased with my little surprise!

Oh ya... we also had a few wobbly pops to wash it down... well... quite a few!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Mike,
I'll bet they WERE pleased with your little surprise.  Sounds like a good time, lake, pulled pork and oh yeah, a "few" refreshing beverages.  One has to stay properly hydrated when you are at a lake. 

KyNola

FLBentRider

Sounds like a good time. Wobbly pops. I haven't heard that one in a while.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: KyNola on August 10, 2008, 12:22:46 PM
WOW!  It all turned out really well.  I just hate it when bacon fat drips down on my chicken wings don't you? :D  ABT's were awesome.  Will definitely be making a substantial amount of those for the next party.

KyNola

Did you cut your peppers in half, or did you cut the ends off and core them?  What did you stuff them with?  I assume the smoke time on the ABTs was about 4 hours???  I want to do some of those next weekend.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

KyNola

rcger,
I split the jalapenos in half lengthwise.  Took andouille sausage that was already fully cooked and put it in a food processor with the cream cheese and piped the mixture in the pepper halves and wrap in bacon.  Smoke time was two hours. Left in the smoker for another 30 minutes after the smoke time.  Brought them in, still was not happy with the bacon doneness so put them under the broiler until the bacon was more crispy.  My opinion only, 4 hours of smoke would be excessive.

Next time I make a really large batch, I'm thinking about cutting the top off, coring the pepper, stuffing and capping with bacon and stringing them and hanging from one inverted rack on the top level of the smoker.

I'm just goofy enough to try something like that. :D

KyNola 

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure if you have heard of Jalapeno Rack or Holders, but now you can find them in Wal Mart. Several years ago, I could only get them online. I've never order from either of these site, I'm just using them as an example of what they are.

Jalapeno Racks
Another example
Another

I forgot to add, if you have the choice its better to get ones with 1 inch diameter holes, rather then the 3/4 inch; that seems to be the standard size.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Thanks Habs, had not seen those before.  Those would work really well.

KyNola

josbocc

Ky,

531 posts on the forum and this was your first attempt at ABT's???  I hadn't even gotten my BDS6 delivered and I had the little buggers ready to go.  (Actually I cheated and made some on the gas grill first, I know..., I should be taken out back and slow-smoked over Mesquite for defying the smoker gods).  My better half hates spicy foods, and I've even got her begging me to make some more ABT's.

If you want to try a milder variety (meat-wise, not pepper), try taking some crab meat and shrimp, then combine with your favorite rub.  Definitely helps if you supervise with an adult beverage (I really like the term "Wobbly Pop).

Glad to hear that your feast turned out well. 

Jeff

P.S.  Don't get many good gumbo recipes in Upstate, NY (20 miles from Canada), care to share???
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KyNola

Jeff,
Nobody ever said I was too bright!!  :D 

Don't have time to post my gumbo recipe right now but am more than happy to share it.  I have figured out a couple of shortcuts in making my gumbo but the one thing I never shortcut on is the roux.  The roux is the key to the flavor of the gumbo.  You just can't mess with that in my opinion.

KyNola

josbocc

At your convenience my smoky friend.  I will await the post, or my e-mail address is available.  Besides, Gumbo season up here coincides with snowmobiling season, and right now we're in one of the three months that we traditionally can't ride our sleds :D :D :D

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pullinpork

I am a newbie, what doaes ABT stand for?

westexasmoker

Oh pullingp, you are in for a treat ABT are atomic buffalo turds....jalapenos stuffed with whatever your heart desires wrapped in bacon...Do a search for them on the forum and here's a link from the receipe site

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25

These should alomost be illegal, they are so good!!  Give'em a whirl, they wind up being a staple in your smoking diet!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!