fat up or down

Started by stc, August 14, 2008, 08:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on August 16, 2008, 07:25:17 PM
Habs...you don't think the underside of the fat seeps into the meat? I understand the top/sides...melt off...just looking to learn?

I don't know the answer to that question. It's something to research. Fat side up, you can say the meat will baste itself. The main function of basting is not for juices and fats to seep into the meat (there may be some, I'm not sure). The main thing that basting does is to protect the outer surface of the meat from the high heat, while the internal temperature rises. In doing so, there is less loss of moisture from within the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I do it fat side up if for no other reason than believing it will allow for more smoke adhesion.  I know I'm pretty well off-base on this one, but smoking food is as much psychological as it is physical (much like golf, for me)  ;D  I guess the thing is that either way you do it, the meat still turns out extremely tender and that's the end goal for everyone.  I would assume there would be more smoke hitting the underside of the meat than at the top where it is being drawn over the food on it's way up through the tower vent.  However, I'm not a rocket scientist or a food scientist and have no proof or logic to back me up.  However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

SmokeDogg

Its probably more mental than anything.  I wonder if one could even tell the difference in a blind taste test which one was smoked fat up and fat down.  I suppose if you wanted the most moist brisket possible you could inject the meat, put your rub on it, smoke it fat side down and baste the top, then both sides are protected.  Also, in my brisket research, I've found that brisket master Jim Minion swears by fat side down and he's probably forgotten more about smoking than I'll ever know.  This is the kind of stuff that makes smoking so much fun!!! ;D

West Coast Kansan

Fat side up.
:-\
The fat on top does reduce with the cook. The reduction by loss of moisture does seep some both on the outside and thru the inside, in smoking at low temps a lot of the cooking happens with moisture transferring heat.  The fat on top caps the moisture loss thru the top where internal moisture would be lost as well as some of the heat energy as it rises.
:-\
So how is it a fat down ever cooks properly?   ???  I have no clue but hey Smoking Duck, I guess that was you at the H I Express.  I was going to say something but then was not sure it was you  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smoking Duck

Yea, that was me, stuffing all the muffins in my computer case  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

West Coast Kansan

Thought so,  I got all that pink, yellow, blue and white sugar by the coffee pot.  Take Care,  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)