WTS brisket

Started by westexasmoker, August 11, 2008, 10:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

I've never had a brisket go bad on me, I think the longest I've gone is 5 weeks it got pushed to the back of the fridge!  Porks a whole different critter (pun intended!) and have never let it go past the use by date, but then again I don't do much pork.  I've also had a brisket start growing a little green stuff on it, but still smelled fine cut away the green beasties and smoked up beautifully...did'nt point this out to anybody, and nobody got sick!  But 3 weeks seems to be a pretty good cut-off date, check with your butcher and see what he says, I'd be curious!  If I can remember I'll do the same!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

SmokeySmell

I just smoked a brisket last Thursday.

I have smoked 3 briskets in my Original Bradley, the first one tasted like the BBQ tri-tip I get locally here in Ventura, the second and third one was absolute crap, same cut of meat way to fatty.

I got a 9lb packer brisket at Smart and Final, I chopped it in half at the fat line to fit the Bradley, left it untrimmed of all top fat, put a dry rub on the meat side  and smoked it for 9 hours with a combo of Hickory, Alder & Oak, no Mesquite for this So Cal'er, it was on for 14 hours total over night, which means no-mopping what-so-ever.

After 14hrs I wrapped it in foil turned the smoker down to 150 deg F and let sit for 6-7 hours, no ice chest or oven involved

Pulled Brisket is what I ended up with, best I ever had.

No ovens, No Microwaves, No towels, no 0!

And now for my next trick, I will reveal how I don't cook Brisket in a crook-pot, oven, microwave, grill and Bradley smoker all at the same time.

Consiglieri

Nice post, WestTex.  Like the pictures a bunch. 
Consiglieri

westexasmoker

Thanks Consig!

Thought about doing a brisket 101, but ya know there's not really a set way to do things...but gonna keep trying!  Oh well except for the mesquite!   ;D

C

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum SS!

As I posted in my other response before I read yours.. still agree there is no set way to do any smoking, brisket or anything (well maybe Habs CB or Kummoks salmon!) Keep us posted!  I'm always up for new ideas!

C

PS....Nah, ya gotta use mesquite.... ;D  :D  ;D !

Gizmo

Quote from: SmokeySmell on August 12, 2008, 05:12:33 PM
and smoked it for 9 hours with a combo of Hickory, Alder & Oak, no Mesquite for this So Cal'er, it was on for 14 hours total over night,

Welcome SmokeySmell,
Where in So Cal are you from?  Several on the board here.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Quote from: westexasmoker on August 12, 2008, 08:10:57 PM
Thanks Consig!

Thought about doing a brisket 101, but ya know there's not really a set way to do things...but gonna keep trying!  Oh well except for the mesquite!   ;D

C

I think you should.  Everyone here has their favorite cut of meat and favorite technique, and most here recognize that technique is more art than science.  You do brisket a lot more than others here (at least from what I've recognized with other posters here).  Share the info and if you're willing the reasons,  pros and cons  for doing it that way (that wealth of info) and let others decide if its what they want to do.  I appreciate the opportunity to learn from the experience of others, even if it only helps me consider my own cooking techinique.  I think the "reasons" for doing something is almost a bit more important than the way an individual will approach the task.  Sometimes there's more than one approach to a problem, and the reasons help people understand your technique and why you do what you do.

Personally, I cook more pig than beef in the smoker and have learned volumes just reading the daily posts here.  I'd welcome some brisket debates about issues and technique.  I'm sure there'll be plenty of opinion and a variety of solutions offered.  but the discussion is what will enable each person to develop their strategy.

So, rant aside, please share all you're willing to share.  My first question: what is the best wood to use when smoking brisket?  ;)

Thanks again for the post and any experience you're willing to share. 
Consiglieri

westexasmoker

Allright Consig...Give me a bit to figure out what kind of wood to use....Ooo got it!, and pull some cow from the freezer!  We'll give it a go!  I think I'll start a new thread and call it Brisket 101 and would like all the members to include their thoughts, techniques and pics of briskets as we're going along.  Good plan, bad plan?

C

Gizmo

My first question: what is the best wood to use when smoking brisket?  ;)

[/quote]

And you can't use the letter q in your answer.   ???  Just messing with ya WTS.

La Quinta

oohh...ooohhh....I know...HICKORY? No Q in hickory (unless I'm spellin' it wrong)!!  :D :D

FLBentRider

I was thinking a nice light Alder or Special Blend ?  ::) ::) ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SmokeySmell

Quote from: Gizmo on August 12, 2008, 08:22:08 PM
Quote from: SmokeySmell on August 12, 2008, 05:12:33 PM
and smoked it for 9 hours with a combo of Hickory, Alder & Oak, no Mesquite for this So Cal'er, it was on for 14 hours total over night,

Welcome SmokeySmell,
Where in So Cal are you from?  Several on the board here.

Thanks
I am from the Ventura County area.

Gizmo

Super, that is close enough.  I'll volunteer you to attend the next SoCal get together.  Probably be in La Quinta.   ;)

SmokeySmell

Quote from: Gizmo on August 13, 2008, 08:38:43 PM
Super, that is close enough.  I'll volunteer you to attend the next SoCal get together.  Probably be in La Quinta.   ;)

Gizmo

That would be really fun..

La Quinta

You are more then Welcome SmokeySmell...shootin for Jan/Feb (when it isn't like the surface of the sun here!!)