4 or 6 rack

Started by pullinpork, August 12, 2008, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullinpork

Which do you suggest? I like to do pork butt, ribs, chicken, venison, fish. Not alot at one time, so I am thinking the 4 rack? I have used my buddies 4 rack with no problems. I just don't want to buy the 4 and want the 6 later. :-\

Gizmo

If you are not into feeding more people than what a 4 rack can produce, get the 4 rack.  I believe there is less temperature variation in the 4 rack as there are a few more inches of tower in the 6.  I have a 6 and there is a pretty good temp difference between the bottom and the top.  The 4 rack guys can comment better on their towers.  I have had mine stuffed for a few parties and when doing jerky, I usually have more meat than what the 6 rack can hold using 12 racks (6 inverted).  I usually do 10 to 15 lbs of meat at a time.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Six rack.  You can cook smaller loads in the 6, and the marginal price difference is worth the ability to smoke volumes when the occasion suits.

That's my opinon, at least.   ;D
Consiglieri

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum pullinpork!

While I don't have the DBS nor the 6 rack, I have the OBS 4 and can turn out plenty of food I usually finish up in the house oven so as to keep on smoking!  At this point in the game its just me and my better half and the kids show up on the weekend for food, and the 4 rack is plenty!  If I thought I needed more space I'd probabley get another OBS, which would give me 8 racks for just a smidge more coin.
You'll be very pleased either way ya go, but from what your saying the 4 rack is gonna get ya there!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

I'm with WTS on this one.

When I first got my Bradley, I was wishin' I had the 6 rack. But after seeing how much better the PID is at controlling temps, I'm not sure what the "digital" brings to the party, except the 9:40 issue. After thinking it over, I see myself buying another OBS-BSS / PID combo and then I would have an 8 rack with 2 PID's...

That's ALOT of P O R K  B U T T !!!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

pullinpork

only thing i can say is that i have done 16 lbs of baby  back ribs, 20 ears of  corn all at  once in a 4 rack though it was stuffed and all came out  hot and packed with  flavor.

also has done  40 lbs of tri tip at  once though it  took a while to cook.

ask yourself one question... How much food am i gonna  smoke at  once?

if it  is 5 to 40 lbs consider the obs 4 rack smoker and pid heater  mod... well worth the time and  money.

if you  are going to do more once a while .. smoke a batch  then start the  second and put  first in house  oven and cook the second in smoker

good luck on your  decision

beefmann

West Coast Kansan

Good considerations given here.  An OBS with a PID is hard to beat for a family type back yard smoker.  It also allows you to check out the OBS without having to spring for a PID right away.  I have a DBS and like the simplicity - the temp control / fluctuations has not been an issue.  If doing it again I would think long and hard about the OBS / PID combo, especially given the good results reported from the plug and play PID users.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pullinpork

Quote from: Gizmo on August 12, 2008, 08:31:02 PM
If you are not into feeding more people than what a 4 rack can produce, get the 4 rack.  I believe there is less temperature variation in the 4 rack as there are a few more inches of tower in the 6.  I have a 6 and there is a pretty good temp difference between the bottom and the top.  The 4 rack guys can comment better on their towers.  I have had mine stuffed for a few parties and when doing jerky, I usually have more meat than what the 6 rack can hold using 12 racks (6 inverted).  I usually do 10 to 15 lbs of meat at a time.
Thank you all for the input. I think the 4 rack will be all that I need after hearing your comments. I will keep you posted.   :P

max1961

thanks for the info. I read somewhere that the 4 rack and 6 rack have the same heating element so it's difficult to get the 6 rack up to temp.  It's a tough decision for me which one to get.  Can't find much info on pros and cons of 4 rack over 6 rack.  I like the idea of having more space but if the 4 rack does a better job, then that's the one I would prefer

jiggerjams

I have the 6 rack and love it. It takes a little longer than some posted times but that does not matter to me because regardless if you are using a 4 or a 6 rack you still have to schedule an alotted amount of time for the cook anyway because the process is low and slow.

IMO if you are going digital go big with the six rack. If you are going 4 rack go Bradley Original and buy the PID from Auber that way it can run your smoke generator also.

My two cents  :)

RAF128

For most things the 4 rack is all you'll need.    I had an OBS and worked great but I like to make sausage and like to hang it in the smoker so I bought  a 6 rack for that reason.   I've also got a PID to control the temps.

classicrockgriller

I like my 18 rack ......

......... with two elements .........

............... and a fan kit!

KyNola

Holy Cow Sonny!  Warn us the next time you're going to show that big shiny S.O.B.!  I think I'm blind now. ;)