Question on Brisket and Butt at same time

Started by Andy, December 13, 2004, 09:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I plan on smoking a brisket and a pork butt at the same time this weekend.  I have a 5# flat...and a 5 pound brisket.  The pork butt I did thsi weekend was the best pulled pork I have ever had.  pecan wood.

I am expecting wood for christmas so I am down to oak, maple, apple, alder, cherry, mesquite and some SB.  I am thinking either oak or maple for this next smoke.

My question....can you do a butt and a brisket at the same time.  Should i be concerned about the pork drippings on the beef....I would think with a 185 internal..that would not be a issue..but I also do not want the brisket to be to fatty.  Any thoughts....may be pork on the bottom shelf?  Any ideas?

BigSmoker

Andy,
Why not mix a little apple with the oak maybe 3 oak to 1 apple?  The only thing I wouldn't use would be mesquite(1 or two pucks might work) and the alder(I use this for fish and seafood).
Me personally I'd put the butt on top and flat underneath(no issues).  The flavor from the pork fat will be very good on the brisket IMHO.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

bigsmoker you beat me to the punch. oak and apple is a good mix, but on top would be just like havving bacon on top,