Which flavor of wood for pulled pork

Started by pullinpork, August 14, 2008, 07:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullinpork

I am picking up my 4 rack BDS on Saturday. I like to smoke pork (pulled pork, ribs) for now. Which flavor of brickettes gives you the most smoke flavor. I am thinking hickory or mesquite. I like the the maple and apple also. I need some inputs please

La Quinta

Hey pullinpork...for me it's hickory, which in my opinion, adds a nice flavor. But if you want big smoke flavor...(God help me) go with Mesquite. I have never used it on pork. But I'm sure there is one other member who will chime in on the mesquite! His Holy Grail of woods...just wait...he'll be around soon!!!  :D

By the way...Welcome!!

pullinpork

Thank you for the Welcome,

I like hickory myself, but I am from the east coast. Alot of mesqutie fans come from texas.

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

My favorite is pecan, maple or hickory in that order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pullinpork on August 14, 2008, 08:24:58 PM
Thank you for the Welcome,

I like hickory myself, but I am from the east coast. Alot of mesqutie fans come from texas.

Mesuite is a fine wood.......for furniture  ;) ;D

I like Maple and Hickory myself.  Never tried mesquite on pork but that would be because I've never had any mesquite. 

When WTS chimes in, you can be sure he'll vote for mesquite.  But, he's the king of mesquite in these parts and I'm sure he'll do his best to pull you in to his evil lair  ;D

Actually, why not try them all?  Makes for a long weekend and a LOT of pulled pork, but then, you'll really know which one works best for you.  That's the beauty of smoking meats.  Wood is a lot like clothes.  What works for some may not work for others.  For instance, WTS will tell you thongs are the way to go, but I just can't bring myself to wearing one ;D

(You thought I just died and went away, didn't ya WTS?  ;) ;D)

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

For pulled pork, Hickory is King here. Now if we were talking Beef Brisket, I'm getting out the Mesquite.

SD, Where ya been ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bsheger

Before I got my DBS I used an offset smoker for ribs.  I always liked using apple in it so I guess I'm kind of stuck on it when it comes to ribs.  For pulled pork I alternate hickory and apple.  You can't go wrong no matter what you use.

KyNola

love the smoke

I am kinda partial to Cherry right now but hickory does a good job also

LTS
LTS

westexasmoker

I got to think about this one for awhile!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 15, 2008, 04:05:52 AM
For pulled pork, Hickory is King here. Now if we were talking Beef Brisket, I'm getting out the Mesquite.

SD, Where ya been ?

Fighting a serious case of depression.  Been out of work for 7 months now, prospects look horrible (unless I turn to the world's oldest profession and even then it don't look good) and in serious danger of losing the house.  Haven't felt much like smoking anything and didn't want to bring the boards down with my blues.  However, LQ, good friend that she is, called me up and told me she missed me talking smack on the boards.  So, I figured I'd get on and try to make her laugh a little.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

rcger

For pork, I've become partial to apple.  For beef,  ummmm....it's the "M" word.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

westexasmoker

After some serious thought I came to the conclusion that mesquite would be the proper wood for pulled pork!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Apple, Maple, Pecan, Mesquite, Oak, Hickory in that order for me on pulled pork.

For beef I like Mesquite, Pecan, Oak, Hickory.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/