New owner experience

Started by lel4866, August 17, 2008, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lel4866

After considerable research, I bought a Bradley Digital from Yard and Pool, which arrived Friday. I also bought an Auber Instruments Bradley Smoker Controller PID.

I have previously owned a Primo Kamodo (like the Big Green Egg), and a Treager pellet barbecue. Prior to ordering the Bradley, I also considered the Cookshack.

I think the things that made my decision were the ability to cold smoke, and the ability to separate smoke generation from the heating. Quite often, I found that the Primo would generate too much of a smoke flavor. Certainly too much for my wife. It was also occassionally a little "bitter". On the Treager, I often didn't get quite enough smoke flavor. I loved the Treager for its simplicity, though. And, it did mostly produce great tasting barbecue. Unfortunately, after 3 years, the auger rusted and froze.

On friday, I made some lamb chops with oak. I just used one briquette of oak, bringing the meat temp up to 100F, and finished them up to medium on my infrared TEC. They were excellent with a nice light smoke flavor. The Auber PID easily held the temp to 190F+-2 degrees. I use a Thermapen 3 with the needle probe for meat temperature. I really like the needle because it allows me to use the probe on very thin meats, like ribs.

Today (Sunday), I made some baby back ribs. I wanted to keep things simple to really taste the Bradley smoke, so I just used a little Bone Suckin Rub. I cooked them for 3 hours with the Auber set at 210, but only smoked them for 1 hour with oak. I finished them up on my inside oven's broiler for 7 minutes with some Bone Suckin Sauce. I only cooked them for 3 hours because I was afraid of having them dry out, based on a couple of other posts here. It turned out to be no problem. The ribs were very tasty with a good smoke flavor. Next time, however, I'll cook them for 4 hours and smoke them for 2 hours, to try and get them a little more tender, and a little less fatty.

All in all, I'm very satisfied. Easy to do, lots of fine control, easy to clean up, and everything worked perfectly (thanks to some tips from this forum).

Oh - Another big advantage of the Bradley is it's size - I can easily lift it to move it, unlike the Primo or the Traeger. And I will certainly do some smoked salmon soon.

Gizmo

Welcome LEL,
Sounds like you are well on your way with a lot of good experirence behind you.  Looking forward to more of your research notes, I mean cooking methods.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum lel4866!

Sounds like you had a good first couple of smokes, looking forward to reading about more. I have learned much from this Forum.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum lel!

Lots of great information here, and the people are not too bad either!  ;D  Keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

rcger

Welcome, LEL.  I've discovered that if you can't find the answer on this forum, you didn't need to know in the first place.  This is the nicest and most knowledgable group I've ever come into contact with.  Enjoy the Bradley experience.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Oldman

Greets and welcome to this place...

If you have not been to our recipe site you should check it out. Click On The Portal Below To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Again Welcome to this place!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

chrispy

Ditto!!!

Lots of help will always be found here!!  Great people with a really cool hobby!!
aWelcome aboard

Chrispy