Beef Ribs!

Started by 32incheye, December 13, 2004, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32incheye

Used my smoker for the first time on Saturday.  Put a nice rack of beef ribs in and let 'er rip.  I didn't realize my error until a couple of hours later.  I had plugged 12 mesquite pucks into it instead of the hickory as was planned.  Knowing how many of you feel that mesquite is the devil's wood, I was not too anxious for my ribs to finish.  After about 4.5 hours, a snowstorm hit and I was panicking, trying to get everything inside so things didn't get soaked.  I was suprised to find that the ribs had a beautiful dark crust on them and were finished cooking.  I was expecting them to take at least an hour longer.  Even with the mesquite, these ribs exceeded my expectations.  They were a little strong, but MUCH better than the same ribs with the same rub done on a BBQ.
  I am in the basement, smelling the smoker and am wondering when I'll smoke again, and what will be on the menu.
It's time to give the Little Chief away!

BigSmoker

Welcome to the forum and glad your first smoke turned out good.  I would believe the cooking times can vary just like most other meats.  My thing is its done when its done.  The size, cut, smoker temp can all be factors.  I've found that rarely is one cook just like another.  Have fun and enjoy your smoker.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Good job young man.  Still trying to do my first BEEF ribs, glad they turned out.  If you can hang with Mesquite, let er-rip.  My opinions about that wood are just that, opinions and I am sure for some people it is great.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Thevenin

I did beef ribs this weekend.  And this may come as a shock to some of you, but cows are BIGGER than pigs.  I know, I know, blew me away too.  Especially when my butcher showed be a rack of Beef ribs.  All 6 ft of them.  I was wondering how I was gonna fit them in my car, when he kindly offered to cut them up into 3 rib chunks.  I'm glad I didn't order a couple of racks.

Followed the BRITU recipie, but substituted S&S wild willie's rub and oak/mesquite for the maple/hickory.  No complaints from the crowd, but I probably over did it with a whole Boston Butt too.  Had a LOT of leftovers, so people when home happy.

Thev.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thevenin</i>
<br />And this may come as a shock to some of you, but cows are BIGGER than pigs.  I know, I know, blew me away too.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thev,

That reminds me of the first time I discovered Penzey's for ordering spices. Yep, it was a $300 order by the time it was done, the bulk prices are so cheap, you just can't help yourself.

I learned that a pound of peppercorns won't fill a quart jar and will only last me about 4-6 months. I also learned that a pound of sage is like a frickin' bale of hay & would probably last a lifetime![:D][:0][:I][:D] Man, I was handin' that stuff out to anyone who would take it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?