Maybe a problem ?? two different smoke times

Started by love the smoke, August 22, 2008, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

First a little background I have been taking a few samples of my smoked goodies to work to share with everybody, so far HABS Bacon is the favorite ( Thanks Habs) anyway someone wants me to smoke a few butts for a wedding rehersal dinner, so I said brng over a butt to try and see if you like it before AI do 5-6 of them.

Ok they want it for Sunday dinner so I am thinking on putting it in the Bradley tomarrow (sat) morning around 8:00 done by Sun Morning around 7ish FTC till noon should work, But I currently have butt in the smoker not sceduled to come out until Sat afternoon/night

So can I put the new butt in tomarrow morning then turn on the smoke after the other butt comes out, can you "smoke" 4-5 hours after you start cooking and still get the smoke taste ?

LTS
LTS

Gizmo

I would take the one out of the smoker and move it to the house oven by placing it into a foil pan and cover it with foil.  Finish in the oven at the same temperature and IT that you were going for in the BS.  That will allow you to put the new buts in and smoke them.  Once they are done smoking, you can move them into the house oven as well and finish them all with the same energy (if they all fit).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo has the best solution.

When the surface of the meat gets too hot, smoke will not penetrate (many state that is at 140°F), though you will still have smoke adhession, but again as the surface of the meat gets hotter the abilitiy for smoke to even adhere to the surface lessens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

Well everything worked out fine the one in the smoker came up to 190 IT pretty quick and then the new one went in for 4 hours of apple/cherry smoke then out at 4:00 AM

So the jury is litterally out as they had it for 12:00 lunch/dinner and I will receive my taste report tomarrow

If they like it and I decide to do this for a the wedding rehersal meal how much butt should I cook for 50 people ??

LTS
LTS

Smokin Soon

I would think you would need 4 Bradleys for that, but the real experts will be along soon.

Gizmo

Quote from: love the smoke on August 24, 2008, 03:14:01 PM

If they like it and I decide to do this for a the wedding rehersal meal how much butt should I cook for 50 people ??

LTS

Depends on what all is going to be there to eat but if you use about 1/3 to 1/2 lb per person, you should be safe.  There is a bit of fat that is going to render out so that is why I tend up to the 1/2 lb range.  If there is a lot of fat and a lot of other food, you should still be good to go. 

For 50 people, 25 lbs should do the trick.  Go 30 to 35 if you want to be sure everyone gets their fill and maybe some leftovers.  :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/