Kummok salmon and heat rise times

Started by Xtrema312, August 18, 2008, 07:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtrema312

I just did another batch of Lake Michigan Kings this weekend.  Kummok I love this receipt.  I have thrown out my others.  ;D

This batch and my last I have had problems getting from 140 to 175 to finish.  I have been smoking this summer at about 82-88 deg. day time temps.  2-hr. at 100-120, three at 140 and then go for about 1-1.5 at 175. I have been having a very hard time getting to 175.  I have stalled out in the 150's or low 160's for up to two hours trying to get the temp up and have had to run the smoke generator and even close down the vent to get temp up and maintain it to finish.  Is this normal?  Should I be running more like 140 for two hours and then plan a couple hours to get to 175 and an hour once there?

My batch sizes are 4-racks fish cut to about 3/4" not touching on the racks.  Fish size varies so although the number, length and width of cuts are about the same the thickness does vary some with fish size.  Batches have been about  12-14 lb.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I figure there are a lot of people using the Kummok system and there should be some reasonable comparable data available.

TomsRods

I wasn't completely sure if you were referring to the bradley cabinet temps or the fish temps but it sounded like you were having trouble getting the bradley over 175.  The only time this happened to me my main heater element went out, the smoke generator kept me around 150 but the heater element was not working, once I replaced that I was back in business....

Xtrema312

I am talking about the cabinet temp.  I was wondering what people usually see for the amount of time it takes to raise the cabinet temp from the 140 to 175 stage.  I know outdoor temp and amount of fish varies it, but what is your ball park time for a full load of Kummok salmon strips with air space?

Habanero Smoker

If it's not your heating element, then you may need to change the way you are trying to bring the heat up.

I did a full load on the 15th of August, and 4 trays only held 6 pounds, but the fillets where thin. Going from the 140°F stage to 175°F, with the load I had took 5 minutes, 10 at the most. The meat temperature of the fish was around 110°F - 120°F by this time, so getting the smoker to 175°F did not take long.

What are you using to monitor the cabinet temperature? Most of us use a separate temperature probe to monitor the cabinet. If you are using a separate probe, where are you placing it? The ideal area would be just below the bottom tray.

Which smoker are you using?  If it is the original, slide the temperature knob all the way to the right until the temperature reaches 160°F and begin to back off until you reach 175°F.

Have you taken the temperature of the fish when the 140°F stage was completed; if so what was the internal meat temperature?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Xtrema312

I am running an OBS on the slide, but have my Auber back so it will be on that next go around.  I use a Maverick duel probe.  I have not been running the meat probe, but will next time.  I don't find the meat probe to be needed for fish, but I do want to know what it is now to see what the effect could be.  Past experience shows the meat is not that far off the cab temp after a few hours in the 140 step.  I put the cab probe in the middle of the racks so it will read a little lower than if it was under the racks, but that is also my usual location so past experience is based on that location.  My loads run 8-12 pounds dependent on the size of the fish which greatly affects the slab thickness.  Jerky I run at 4-5 lb. and butt's at 8-9 for a single.  I am sure 12 lb. of fish is way different than 6, but you wouldn't think it was hours different.  I am suspecting maybe not sufficient space for air/heat to circulate as suggested in the OBS forum section.  I will have to run the probe low next time just to see and maybe get more racks to space things out.

Thanks for the info it helps.

Habanero Smoker

I don't use a probe for fish either, I measure the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer.

Circulation could be the cause, or moisture can also keep your cabinet temperature down. I place my cabinet probe on the bottom rack. I use the DigiQ II to control the temperature, and rotate the racks during the smoking/cooking time. Placing the probe in between racks can cause a probe to read  as much 20°F- 30°F lower then the bottom racks (depending on moisture and evaporation rate), but if that is your general practice  and you are getting good results.  The only other thing I can think of is your vent setting. Play around with that, if you are currently using a small opening, try widening it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Sounds like your getting good advice from experienced pros, Xtrema!

The only thing that I'd add is that there's as much art as their is science in producing the "ultimate" smoked salmon. The really great thing about the experience is that even the "mistakes" are VERY tasty! I've evolved to the place where I like to keep smoking time to 3.5 hour range, regardless of whether or not the ideal bug killing temp is obtained. My most recent batch was one of my best (for my own taste!) and several eyes rolled to the back of several heads as they sampled the result of 3.5 hours w/ temp going from 145 start to 165 finish.