Standing rib roast

Started by bflosmoke, August 18, 2008, 06:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

First of all I would like to thank everyone for all of your help and advice.
I have done boston butt,(very good but better the second time) chicken wings (Tasty but chewy skin) and a brisket (out of this world good).
I am now officially hooked !  I have been feeding my next door neighbor the fruits of my labor and it looks like it just paid off. He has 4 standing rib roasts from the steer they have butchered and he wants to know if I want to do 2 this weekend one for him and one for me.

Needless to say I dont want to screw this up since there are 2 more rib roasts , pork ribs  and other tasty morsels available for the sharing and of course my pride is also on the line.

So I am looking for help with a plan to impress my buddy and our taste buds. Is a standing rib roast the same as prime rib? And what would the best way to smoke it.

Thanks in advance for all of your expertise.

FLBentRider

A standing rib roast is a prime rib with the bone.

When I do prime rib, this is how I do it - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7548.msg76854#msg76854
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bflosmoke

Thanks for the reply FBR . So if I understand you I shouldnt do the rib roast in the bradley and should stick to the oven.

FLBentRider

You can leave it in the Bradley if you choose. My Family does not like a heavy smoke flavor on Prime rib, so I treat it (the smoke) sort of like any other seasoning. My house oven also has the feature that allows us to program the oven to switch to "hold" (180F) mode when the  IT of the meat is reached.

You could certainly do the entire roast in the Bradley, since once the smoke is done it is an oven anyway. I think house ovens heat a little more evenly, though - I don't feel the need to rotate racks in the house oven.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bflosmoke