Beef jerky. Too much salt taste. Help please.

Started by Slamdunk, August 19, 2008, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

I've followed a tried and true brine recipe however I reduce the amount of salt called for by 1/2 and compensated by adding soya sauce. But I still find that the jerky is too salty for my liking- although it does cause me to drink more cold beer , so it's a trade-off. ::)

My question is how to reduce the salt taste and yet still have it cured properly.

Normally I do a quick rinse (in and out of clean water) of the meat after the appropriate time in the brine (12 hours).

If I did a longer rinse would that get rid of some of the salt taste, BUT would it somehow affect the curing process? I don't want to be eating uncured meat.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

westexasmoker

I like the plan of more cold beer...but it sounds like to much salt and soy sauce...lots of salt there, if found at least in my house more pepper is a good thing.  But try some terayghi sauce instead..maybe, more jerky guys than me will be along!  ;D  Here of late, thin cut beef and a whole bottle of coarse black pepper overnight in a ziplock then smoked and dried, usually does'nt stay around very long!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tiny Tim

I've only used the Hi Mountain Seasoning and Cure kits.  First batch I made was way too salty...did it by the book.  Next batch something came up while doing the cure part, and it stayed in the fridge a few extra days before I could smoke and dry it....ended up being much better from the saltiness end (not as salty).  So now I let it cure a few more days before the smoking/drying.

Don't know if that helps you any, but that's been my experience with it.

bflosmoke

I did some high mountain hickory jerky a few weeks ago and followed the instructions to a tee. It turned out just fine in my book not to sallty at all. My problem is that I couldnt cut a consistant thickness and some ended up a tad dry. Is it worth it to get a slicer.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: slamdunk on August 19, 2008, 08:04:39 PM
I've followed a tried and true brine recipe however I reduce the amount of salt called for by 1/2 and compensated by adding soya sauce.

Adding soy sauce really didn't compensate for reducing the salt.  Soy is filled with salt.  You can buy reduced sodium soy and that may help some, but you'd probably be better off cutting the salt in half and going with teriyaki sauce instead like WTS suggested.  Or, you can just cut the salt in half period.  Just curious as to what type of salt you were using in the first place.  Were you using MTQ or #1 as the salt to cure the meat?  If so, I wouldn't cut that out all.  You need to use that exactly as the recipe calls for. 

SD

Heck, that must be the first post of WTS that I've read that didn't have the word mesquite in it  ;) :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Depending on the soy sauce (not the light) there is about 3/8 of a teaspoon of salt for every tablespoon of soy sauce; there it 16 tablespoon in a cup which will equal approximately 2 tablespoon of pickling salt (table salt) per cup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Dang I'm losing my touch!  The use of mesquite will disperse the amount of salt within the product, said forth of being smoked! (Quote from somewhere deep in my mind, in other words don't believe it!)   ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Slamdunk

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I haven't tried the Teriyaki sauce yet, but thought I'd give it a go the next batch of jerky I do, so perhaps I'll kill two birds with one stone.

As to the salt I use...Mediteranian Sea Salt - non iodized of course.

Smoking Duck

Hey Slam,

First of all, I'm not sure where my manners are.  Welcome to the site!

Second, and I am by no means an expert here, but I don't believe that the Mediteranean Sea Salt will cure the meat if that's what you're looking for it to do.  If you are looking to cure the meat, you need to use something like Morton's TenderQuick or Insta-Cure#1 or some product like that.  There are some much better minds on the subject than I who can probably come and give you much better advice than I.  Hopefully, they will be along shortly to give a hand.  Of course, I could totally be wrong about that but I think I may be running down the right path here.  Just don't want you to think the meat is cured if it isn't.  It can give you a serious case of the nasties if you treat the meat as cured and it isn't.

SD

PS.  WestTexasSmoker belongs to the cult of MesquiteMindManipulation......he's a really good guy, but has been brain washed by them folks down in the Lone Star State into believing that Mesquite is the only wood that will lead to salvation  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smoking Duck on August 21, 2008, 03:34:28 AM
PS.  WestTexasSmoker belongs to the cult of MesquiteMindManipulation......he's a really good guy, but has been brain washed by them folks down in the Lone Star State into believing that Mesquite is the only wood that will lead to salvation  ;D

Wouldn't that be salivation ?

:D ;D :D ;D ;)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

In the smoker's world, aren't they interchangeable?

Good one, FL  :D

bluerazor515

;D hello every1, im sorry if im about 2 step on any1 toes, ive been smoking jerky/(venison) for about 5 years, and  i brine (merinade) the meat for about 48hrs or more, remobve meat from brine and pat dry with paper towel or towel. then shake some of ur favorite seasonings on like pepper,cracked red pepper,cayenne,garlic or u can even spray som teriahki sauce/pinapple to give ot a shine...i believe the salty taste to be the cure ur using. ive been thru the same thing i switched cures and now im goooooood.
i also smoke summer sausage, keilbasa, ect. im new to these forums and would like to have many recipes traded. ive been smoking(heat) for 5 yrs and now i wanna try some cold smoke. i did a google search and found u bunch of wonderful ppl. ive never cold smoked b4 and really wanna do my own salami, ect. im a game hunter and luv the venison, but i cant get the pepperoni down so im gonna try 2 cold smoke venison pperoni. if any has any recipies they would luv 2 share with me plz im all ears/and willing to learn. thanx and sorry for the long posted this would be a great place to start.

P.S. im from NY and im 40 yrs of age...

Habanero Smoker

Hi bluerazor515;
Welcome to the forum.

You may want to take a look at this site http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

Try This....too salty ? Leave recipe the same...just add more meat...still too salty..add more cold adult beverage.

If it's perfect...Still add more cold adult beverage 8)

Coyote