Just got mine delivered

Started by eddieo, August 21, 2008, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddieo

Hello Everyone,

Been reading the forums and decided to order the digital 4 rack... any advice on setting it up?  I will simply follow the instructions for assembly and seasoning, hope everything turns out well.

I'm excited and can't wait till this weekend to smoke!

Thank you in advance for any input.

Eddie

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum eddieo!

Your gonna love your BS, just follow the seasoning instructions and then your good to go!  I see great eats in your future...just make sure and use mesquite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Welcome to the forum Eddie

If you have been cruzin the forum you may have already checked out the recipe site, but if you haven't just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post and you will be taken there. Lots of tried and true recipes there for the Bradley.

Keep us posted

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Eddieo!

Mr Walleye has you pointed to the recipe site, WTS is beating the mesquite drum, all I can do is welcome you.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Welcome, Eddio.  You're gonna love the Bradley and this forum.  I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Walleye.  Try any of the recipes on that board and you won't be disappointed.  Please forgive WTS; he's a corporate shill for the MOO corporation (Mesquite Over Others).  His heart is in the right place even if his taste for wood isn't  ;D.  In all seriousness, give mesquite and all the other woods a try.  You'll find you have different favorites for different foods.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Hi Eddieo;
Welcome to the forum.

Here are a few suggestions you can do while you waite for your smoker to arrive.
I just ordered my Bradley Smoker. What can I do before it arrives?

Also check out the other FAQ's while you are there.
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. As you can already see, there a plenty of friendly folks here who are always willing to help. Please share your adventures with us also. We would love to see your results. Most of all have fun with your new Bradley.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bflosmoke

Welcome eddieo. You should find this forum very informative. I know when I brought mine home last month I lost sleep dreaming of what I was going to smoke first. And since then its lost sleep over wondering whats next. You will love it!!!

KyNola

Welcome aboard Eddieo!  There is nothing more I can add to what my esteemed friends of the forum have already extended to you.  Have fun and tell us all about your first smoking experience.  We all love to read the first OMG posts from first time users. :D

Smoke On,
KyNola

eddieo

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.  I finished the seasoning as instucted in the owners manual.  The inside of the BDS appears to have a slight brownish tint.  Is that sufficient seasoning?

I went to the market tonight to pick up all the stuff to make my first batch of ABTs (read so much about 'em,  I gotta try it); just want to make sure the smoker is ready...? Will try and smoke them tomorrow, I'll let you all know how they turned out. 

Also, I just ordered three bubbapucks and am thinking about whether or not I need a thermometer as we'll. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Eddie

Habanero Smoker

The seasoning is sufficient, as you do more smokes the inside will be black. The main function of the first seasoning is to burn off and oil residue that is on the metal.

A probe thermometer is almost a necessity, but if you are just doing ABT's you can use the door thermometers. You should get a dual probe, or dual sensor probe. Those types of thermometers will monitor both the cabinet and meat temperature. The type of thermometer most used by members is the remote dual probe Maverick ET-73.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Gotta echo Habs sentiments on the Maverick ET-73.  The thing is a godsend as it has an alarm to tell you when your meat has reached the IT you desire.  It sure as heck beats opening the door all the time to check on your meat.  The first rule of smoking:  If you're looking, you're not cooking.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

josbocc

Welcome to the forum Eddieo.  I got my BDS6 last about 1 1/2 months ago, and have loved everything that's come out of it so far.  Pork loins, smoked jerky, ABT's (of course), and today's project is my second batch of ribs.  If you've never had a spare rib out of a smoker, you haven't lived yet.

You will find all of the advice that you need here.  There are some true experts wandering around in this forum.  Good Luck, enjoy, and depite what WestTexas dude says, you may smoke with woods other than mesquite ;D

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

eddieo

First time smoke with BDS to try some ABTs.  Also made some using turkey bacon, both were very good although the bacon did not come out crunchy as some posts have stated.  I'm wondering if the vent on the top has anything to do with it, I had it open about 1/8 inch (was I retaining too much moisture?).  I'm not sure how open or closed the vent should be, any rules of thumb on the vent?  Anyhow, I'm looking forward to experimenting and learning more.  The wife is requesting that I smoke a turkey for thanksgiving this year, so I've got to start practicing.

Thanks for all of your input.

Eddie

Before:

After:

westexasmoker

Welcome to forum, eddieo!

I have my vent full open for everything (but they will tell ya I'm a bit off) and I use mesquite for everything!   ;D  Your ABT's look great to me, if they come out a bit lesss than crispy throw it into your oven on a quick broil!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!