Just got mine delivered

Started by eddieo, August 21, 2008, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Welcome eddieo...pay no mind to mesquite boy...he has a "spell"...uh...every day...when it comes to his preferred wood...nice enough fella...but...ya know  ;D...ANYHOO...ABTs look great...and I echo the broiler factor...you may want to do it on chicken too!  :)

FLBentRider

If you keep the vent more open than you think you need, you are on the right track. Smoke condensing and dripping on food does not taste good, unless you like the taste of an ashtray (which is pig latin for TRASH)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 01, 2008, 05:48:10 AM
If you keep the vent more open than you think you need, you are on the right track. Smoke condensing and dripping on food does not taste good, unless you like the taste of an ashtray (which is pig latin for TRASH)

My vent is permanently froze in the 1/2 open 1/2 closed position. In agreement with FLB on the condensed smoke moisture not tasting good. Next time you see a black telephone pole with a dark goo running down the side run over and give it a lick. That's creosote or the same nasty wood rosins that are being carried away by the steam. The smoke actually tastes PDG if it didn't, None of us would be here smoking our food. Your goal isnt to trap all the smoke in the tower to get more flavor, like you would think. You want the smoke to gently kiss your food as it passes by taking the nasty rosins with it. Hope this makes sense.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Eddieo,
Your ABT's look great.  As for the vent, I typically run the vent at least half open for everything except poultry and then it goes wide open as poultry contains a LOT of moisture and will build up in the tower, run out the door(nice stain on my porch) and will hold the temp down in the tower as well.  Even some fish requires a wider vent in my opinion.

Great first project in your smoker!  Wait until the first time you do a pork butt.  You won't believe it. :D

KyNola

eddieo

Thank you all for your replies, they are all helping me to understand my new toy better.

La Quinta, when you wrote; "...you may want to do it on chicken too!", are you saying to put the chicken in the broiler after smoking?  If so, I'm assuming its for the skin and will work for turkey too?  How long in the broiler and at what temp?

All this info is making me want to take vacation days to try everything ;D

Eddie

josbocc

EddieO,

ABT's look awesome.  Better than my first effort, but they still tasted great.  As far as venting goes, stick with what the experts are telling you as far as how wide, and for what type of meat.  I didn't know about any of this until reading this thread..., and I'm going to be doing some chicken halves this weekend.  Guess I'll open up the vent a little more.

Good Luck, and happy smoking,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

La Quinta

Sorry eddieo...yes...that's what i meant...and I usually leave my vent open 3/4 except with fish...just my humble opinion. With fish...all the way open...but there are fish experts on here that may disagree!!  :)

bigcatdaddy

Welcome EddieO

Your Abt's look delightful!!!!  Getting the Bacon crispy in the bradley is tough to do unless you have higher box temps or longer cooking times.  As everybody has stated.  A short time under the broiler will do the trick.  My vent runs half open unless I'm doing poultry and then I run it wide open.  Good luck and happy smokin!!!!!!

BCD