Rack life span

Started by FLBentRider, June 02, 2008, 04:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I've been noticing that the chrome on my racks is not what it once was. The "non-stick" on the Jerky racks is not "all that" either. We are fairly dilligent about cleaning them - They get run through the dishwasher after each use - but the chrome racks in particular are starting to rust in spots.

I'll assume I need to buy new ones - How many months / smokes should I expect from my _next_ set ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

How many did you get out of this set?

I primarily use the non-stick jerky racks for all my smokes.  I make sure they get a pretty good spray down with non-stick spray before each use and this seems to really help.  I always hand clean first with a soft sponge and then follow that up with a run through the dishwasher.  I'm not sure if it helped or not but I also "seasoned" mine by rubbing them down with vegetable oil when I first got them and then run them through the smoker with just smoke (no meat).

Mine are holding up pretty well and I think I do a pretty good amount of smoking.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

2 to 3 uses from the non-stick  >:(
I actually used them a few more times but then decided that the flaking could be getting into the food - not good.  They also stuck to food worse than the chrome (IMOP).

I am on my 2nd year with my original chromes.  There may be a few spots (corner welds) that will show up from time to time but mostly only if I leave the racks in water overnight instead of washing right away.  Don't use the dishwasher so don't know if that makes a difference.

I am using the Hi Temp test screens for now for that non-stick surface and small hole pattern.  Did some LOX over the weekend.  Not a single scale came off.  First time I have ever made it, so I have no comparison to the chrome or non-stick for LOX.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I lost most of the chrome coating on my racks a few months after using them. There were a few post about this a few years back. They now almost look completely bronze. I've been using them for almost 3.5 years without the chrome coating. The food doesn't appear to stick any worse then they were new.

I'm not sure what the metal under the chrome is, but I do know that it will show signs of rust if you don't dry them quickly and completely. Though it will show signs of rust, the rust will only develop in very small area. So the "bronze" color metal may be another metal coating over steel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Mine are "Bronzing" (is that a word ? it is now... )  ;D

The non-stick is not flaking, but it is not working either - I await my Hi Temp screens from Y&P.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Lefty_Smoker

I just ruined my non-stick coated jerky racks this past weekend.  Did yet another batch of Kommok's salmon and ended up tossing the racks into the dishwasher when I was done.  I set the dishwasher for Hi-temp wash and Sanitize.  When they came out, half the non-stick had flaked off, or was in the process of flaking off.  I've ran them through the dishwasher many times previously, but this is the first time I've used the sanitizing feature with them and it seems to have been too hot for the non-stick.  My non-stick racks lasted me well over a year and a half, but have finally failed on me.

My guess is that it is high-heat that is making the non-stick flake off.

Looks like I'll be ordering set of those hi-temp mesh screens too!

manxman

QuoteMy non-stick racks lasted me well over a year and a half, but have finally failed on me.

I got about 18 - 24 months use out of my non-stick racks, moderate use. Bought a replacement set last month.
Manxman

bushman

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 03, 2008, 03:43:44 AM
Mine are "Bronzing" (is that a word ? it is now... )  ;D

The non-stick is not flaking, but it is not working either - I await my Hi Temp screens from Y&P.

where do you get these screens

Gizmo

Bryan at Yard and Pool.  He has a screen name here of Begulf25. 
Here is the link to the product on his site.

http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p1900.html

Caution, Bryan has some great stuff on the site.  You won't regret purchasing these.  I use them for everything, not just jerky.  They are high temp and nothing sticks.  Makes clean up a snap.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Gizmo has you hooked up!  ;)

I bought mine from Bryan as well. I use them for everything.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Oldman

My 2-cent worth... purchase what you can from Yard and Pool.  They help support this community.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!