Christmas Dinner

Started by smokey bonz, December 15, 2004, 02:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey bonz

Good evening fellow "SMOKERS"
I have a very difficult question for you guys (and gals)!.
I need a Great Christmas dinner this year!!.Iam heading out of town tomorrow driving semi out to Boston to deliver tornado sirens and yes I know, why this tyme of year?. Ask my boss. My family likes pretty much everything. Will have about 8 people over. I appreciate all responses.

Chez Bubba

Standing rib roast on the 3rd rack, drippin' bacon on the 2nd and 12-count shrimp on the top. Shrimp only need to go in for a couple hours & be served as the appetizer.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Standing rib roast on the 3rd rack, drippin' bacon on the 2nd and 12-count shrimp on the top. Shrimp only need to go in for a couple hours & be served as the appetizer.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
wow Chez starting to sound like a christmas song and a dove in a pear tree, something like that, [:D]

BigSmoker

smokey bonz,
I will be doing a prime rib(cold smoked in the Bradley and cooked on the ceramic cooker) and a ham done with the Olds T-shirt method.  I will throw in a few whole peeled boiled eggs at some point and make some smoked deviled eggs as well.  I will serve some smoked almonds and pecans for snacks and ABT's for appetisers.  For the sides maybe some spinich souffle' or green beans with small red potatoes.  HTH.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Andy

Well the inlaws show up sunday...father in law likes BBQ and loves brisket....

So I am smoking a brisket and a pork butt sunday

Next week....xmas eve...frying a rib roast in the turkey frier...leaving the oil sit...for Xmas and a turkey...

As far as sides...will fry some smoked jalipeno corn fritters before the rib roast...smoking a few onions for french onion soup...and going to smoke some cheese as well. I think i will just buy a half dozen onions...and a half dozen peppers to be smoked saturday or sunday for a few hours...probably will not take long...then freeze them for next weekend.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>
Next week....xmas eve...frying a rib roast in the turkey frier

I'll bite on this one.  Whats the procedure and how does it taste?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />
Quote<i>Originally posted by Andy</i>
Next week....xmas eve...frying a rib roast in the turkey frier

I'll bite on this one.  Whats the procedure and how does it taste?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Andy!

Rib Roast Deep Fried? Like Jeff said tell us more! What size? How you prepare it? How long to Fry? What internal meat temp? and anyhting else you can think of. PLEASE!

BigRED

Andy

Sorry I missed the reply....

Turkey frier...350 degrees about 7 minutes per pound or 130 internal temp...I will probably fry a little shorter..I like it rare

It seers the outsid solid..and holds in all the juices..and the inside is Suppose to be yummy...

Will double check the time..I have a turkey frier book at home that talks about frying everything from Pork Tenderloin...to corn fritters to Prime Rib...

I have a friend that swears that it is the best prime rib he has ever had...so I bought a 5 pounder for about $5 per pound...and will fry it up xmas eve...with fried jalipeno/pulled pork corn fritters and some ABT's

I have read about it in the frier book...and had a friend...well him and his wife swear by it....Turns out he smokes with a Brinkman..and says that the fried Rib roast is better then smoked!!

Will try to remember tonight to look at teh book and check the times

The only problem Imight have is I forgot to empty the turkey frier oil...just found it yesterday in the garage...but it is about 40 degrees in the garage..with the lid on...soit is probably ok...I would think..

Will fry the corn fritters first...and test it...but it has only been 3 weeks...should be ok...heck McD's uses the same oil for a month!!

nsxbill

Throw some french fries in.  They will absorb residue, if any and freshen the oil.  Let it cool then strain it.  When I bought my fryer, I bought a battery powered pump that you put a filter on and pump the oil out of the fryer and back to the container the oil came in.  Storing at 40 should be ok.  Your nose will be your judge.   Out it goes if it smells rancid.

For those fryers out there.  Onion blossoms are good to fry up for appetizer and pretty easy to do.  So healthy.[:0][:0][:p]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Andy

I figured it would be ok...but thanks...will test with some fries...

How do you do an onion blossum??

That should go wellwith the fried Rib Roast...fried corn fritters...and ABT's[:D]

Now that is healthy!!

Andy

A quick update on the prime rib...7 to 8 minutes per pound...

Ok a few tips I got as well...

First, fry the first time at 7 minutes per pound...once you remove it...stick the thermo in...140 to about 150 medium rare...150 to 160 meduim...above that why bother....well about 140 why bother...

If you bring it out of the oil..and it is not hot enough...oven at 400 for about 15 or 20 minutes.   I am looking at medium rare...140.

Then wrap in foil...in the cooler...I will use the towel..and put in the cooler for about an hour....then time to eat!!

BigRed

<br />A quick update on the prime rib...7 to 8 minutes per pound...

Ok a few tips I got as well...

First, fry the first time at 7 minutes per pound...once you remove it...stick the thermo in...140 to about 150 medium rare...150 to 160 meduim...above that why bother....well about 140 why bother...

If you bring it out of the oil..and it is not hot enough...oven at 400 for about 15 or 20 minutes.   I am looking at medium rare...140.

Then wrap in foil...in the cooler...I will use the towel..and put in the cooler for about an hour....then time to eat!!

Andy!

Thanks for your information on the PR fry! It soons very interesting. Let us know the results. I want to try!!

BigRED

BigSmoker

Andy,
Are you going to cold smoke the PR first?
When you fry it do you still season it on the outside or just do it plain?
Interesting concept.  Keep us posted.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Andy

I have never smoked one...but my friend recommended to put some crushed red pepper or black pepper on the outside...

as far as smoking..that might happen...may be an hour or two of maple smoke.

BigRed

<br />I have never smoked one...but my friend recommended to put some crushed red pepper or black pepper on the outside...

as far as smoking..that might happen...may be an hour or two of maple smoke.

Andy!

Just a guess but for the great smoke taste to penetrate the meat you might need to do a 4hr max. smoke. I guess it depends on the size of your PR to start with. Let us know!

BigRED