Christmas Dinner

Started by smokey bonz, December 15, 2004, 02:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Just a guess but for the great smoke taste to penetrate the meat you might need to do a 4hr max. smoke. I guess it depends on the size of your PR to start with. Let us know!

BigRED
[/quote]

5 1/2 # prime rib..will dry age for about 3 days...so without the bone...and aged probably turns out to be around 4#....

if I smoke it I would cold smoke with Oak or Mesquite...may be maple...what do you think?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>
<br />Just a guess but for the great smoke taste to penetrate the meat you might need to do a 4hr max. smoke. I guess it depends on the size of your PR to start with. Let us know!

BigRED
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

5 1/2 # prime rib..will dry age for about 3 days...so without the bone...and aged probably turns out to be around 4#....

if I smoke it I would cold smoke with Oak or Mesquite...may be maple...what do you think?

Andy!

I would chose any wood but not mesquite. I have ruined more meat with mesquite wood I use a lot of hickory and peacon biskets. Depends on what you like best.

BigRED

swede

STOP!  Do NOT deep fry prime rib at 7 min per lb.---The time should be closer to 3 min per lb.-------For some great tips about prime rib smoking and deep frying, try http://bbq.about.com/ and type in deep fried prime rib.------Have a hot smokie or deep fried Christma.----Your friend and fellow smoke head--Swede.

nsxbill

Here are a couple of recipes.  I have a blossom cutter - all done automatically, but here is the manual way of preparing in 2 separate recipes:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Onion Blossoms

Yield: 4 servings

2 lg Sweet onions; unpeeled
1/2 c  Mayonnaise
1/2 c  Sour cream
1 tb Chili powder
2 1/2 ts Cajun seasoning; divided
1 1/2 c  Flour
1 c  Milk
Oil for deep frying

Leaving root end intact, peel outer skin off onion.

Cut a small slice off top.  

Starting at the top of onion and on one side make a cut downward toward root end, stopping 1/8th inch from bottom.  

Make additional cuts 1/8 inch fron first until there are cuts completely across top of onion. Turn onion 1/4 turn so slices are horizontal to you.  Repeat cuts, 1/8 inch apart, until it looks like a checkerboard pattern across top. To make dip: In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning.  Mix well. In 1 gallon plastic bag combine flour and remaining Cajun seasoning. Place milk in small, deep bowl.  Coat cut onion with flour.  Dip in milk and then in flour mixture again.  

Fry in enough oil to cover onion at 350-375 degrees for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.

Place on serving plate.  Discard very center of fried onion blossom. Place a few spoonful of dip in center.

Serve immediately.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And here is the one that is a little more complicated:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Onion Blossom

1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 tablespoons flour
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 cup crushed saltines
vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
honey mustard or ranch dressing for dipping

Peel onion, leaving root intact.

Cut onion vertically into quarters, cutting to within half inch of root end.

Cut each quarter vertically into thirds.

Place onion in boiling water 1 minute; remove and place in ice water 5 minutes. Loosen "petals" if necessary.

Drain onion cut side down.

Place flour in a heavy duty ziplock plastic bag; add onion; shake to coat.

Dip onion in egg. Place crushed crackers in plastic bag; add onion, tossing to coat.

Chill onion 1 hour.

Heat oil to 375F. Fry onion 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Serve with honey mustard or ranch dressing.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pretty easy to do, and quite tasty as an appetizer.  What the heck, the oil is out there getting hot anyway!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.