Cure Plus Other Ingredients

Started by JohniusMaximus, August 24, 2008, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohniusMaximus

Just a general inquiry.  Say I'm curing a piece of meat (In this case with Tender Quick) but I'm also adding in another ingredient for flavor.  Brown sugar for example.  Do I mix the cure with the brown sugar before applying to the meat or apply the cure to the meat then pat on the extra ingredient afterwards?  Or does it even matter?

Smoking Duck

I'm not sure if it matters.  I mix the MTQ with the DBS and then place on the meat.  To me, the key is ensuring that you use all of the rub on the meat.  This isn't like putting rub on a rib or brisket where you can slop it on any old way you like.  You need to ensure that you use all of it and that the cure gets in every nook and cranny.  Kind of like the sand at the beach when you're wearing a Speedo  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Try a mix of dark brown sugar and maple sugar to equal parts of TQ. Then there is that little soaking in pure maple syrup that's the finishing touch before the drying process. Great on Habs Canidian Bacon or Buckboard Bacon.

Habanero Smoker

I generally measure out the curing salt, then mix in any other ingredients before applying. It makes it easier to apply everything at once. If you apply TQ first the try to apply the brown sugar, the TQ almost immediately begins drawing moisture out of the meat and it makes it hard to spread the brown sugar on evenly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)