Albacore

Started by eddieo, September 01, 2008, 11:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddieo

Hi everyone,

Just finished my second smoke with Albacore.  Couldn't find an Albacore recipe so I pieced various fish recipes together.  The end result... the outer layer was slightly on the salty side, inside was pretty good but could have been a bit more moist? and had very minor areas of white boogers.  I used a dry rock salt method; completely buried fish pieces in the salt for 25 minutes, rinsed and pat dried, sprinkled some fresh pepper and let sit for about 50 minutes, heat for a total of 2 hours at 190F with smoke for the first 1.5 hours, alternating between alder and hickory. I left the vent 1/2 open.  I'm wondering if I'm on the right track, got two more batches in the freezer and I think I should be doing something else?  Perhaps a wet brine overnight and or a change in time/temp?  Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

ps: the bubba pucks I ordered came in time for the above smoke, great idea! thanks to whoever thought of it. 

Eddie

Gizmo

I have used Kummok's salmon brine recipe on Albies and love the results.  There are some other reciepes for brines and fish on the recipe site you can check out as well.  Under my post is a link to the recipe site if you haven't made the trip there yet.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/