LOBSTER TAIL??

Started by smokin zo, December 15, 2004, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin zo

Has anyone ever tried doing lobster tails in the BS? I'm doing them for New Years Eve and though I'd give it a try?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Enzo

MallardWacker

Truely Enzo,

I have cooked plenty of Lobster Tail and Thermadore in my life but I have never heard of smoked lobster.  I am the kind of guy that thinks a 50O deg oven, get'em hard to the touch and way~lay'em with butter is the best.

Believe it or not many years ago when I was a cook going to school a lady came in and asked for a 3 minute Lobster, yes I said 3 and not 30.  Heavens, it was a slithering, gelotinous, cool hunk of crap.  She ate it with melted butter an lemon.  Sounds like a problem in the genome.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

smokin zo

Thanks Mallard:
Normally I'll par steam them in lager beer then pull them from the shell, brush with butter & lemon, then on to a HOT grill to finish.
Was just curious though if anyone has ever tried it

Enzo

BigSmoker

zo,
I have never smoked lobster tails but don't see why you couldn't give them a short(1 hr.) cold smoke with some alder pucks and then prepare as normal.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Here is a Lobster Recipe adapted by me from another BBQ site:

Smoked Lobster w/ Rosemary Butter Mash

Purchase fresh, live 1 1/4 lb. lobsters.
Fill a 3-4 qt. sauce pot with water and season with your favorite rub.
Once water boils, ask the lobster's if they would like to go for a swim. If they refuse, push em in!
Boil for exactly 4 minutes and pull them out of the water.
Using a heavy, sharp knife, cut the shell of the lobsters from head to tail.

Spoon in Rosemary Butter Mash from front to back.

Set smoker to max temp you can get and place lobsters directly on shelf.

Use Apple or Cherry Pucks.

Smoke for about 20-30 minutes and serve with the Butter Mash.

Melt Rosemary Butter Mash until it become a liquid serve with Lobster.

Rosemary Butter Mash:
1/2 stick of real salted butter
3 sprigs of fresh Rosemary clean from stems and roasted
1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
1 pinch of favorite rub
1 pinch of black pepper

Melt butter slightly until it is able to mash with fork. ( Do not let it melt to a clear oily consistancy.

Add other ingredients and mash throughly with fork.

This recipe was adjusted based on inability to get to the 350 temp the original recipe called for, but I do think that you get the BS up to max temp, and do this to impart nice smoky flavor...just would take a bit longer.    I don't think I would want to forge ahead on a first time cook for company...I would try it out first at a time preceding the event just so everything comes out good when company is there.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Andy

I see one huge issue with smoking lobster...them suckers will have to be tied down to the rack or they will be moving around to much..[:D]..they will come out all tanned and ready for the beach[:D][:D][}:)]..

Just guessing if you cold smoke them...they will come out pretty pissed off..[:D]..I definitely suggest leaving those little rubber bands on their claws so they do not get you!![:D][}:)][:o)]..I bet they are not to friendly after being bathed in smoke for a few hours[:o)]

sorry just a little fun!![}:)]...crap my smoked lobsters are running away..[:D]..martha get my shot gun I got to go track down those damn lobsters..they's gettin away...[:D][:D]..them son of a guns are some pissed off fast critters!!  I just knew I should have boiled their butts to begin with!![:D][:D]...man if we only had a video of that...that would be worth something.[:D][}:)]

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>
<br />...crap my smoked lobsters are running away..[:D]..martha get my shot gun I got to go track down those damn lobsters..they's gettin away...[:D][:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What kind of a dog do you use to track with Andy?  Is a Crustacean(sp?) Hound related to the Cougar Hound[?]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

never tried smoking them , i just split them in half right down the middle, one now makes two, shell down on the grill butter and garlic on top 10 min done

Andy

What kind of a dog do you use to track with Andy?  Is a Crustacean(sp?) Hound related to the Cougar Hound[?]

Crustacean hound...I thinking a "smokey" mountain blue "lobs'stick'" hound!![:D]

Ok, their is no funny name for a hound dog to track lobsters...but it was sure fun to write the original post.  I was kind of surprised no one else did it before me...seems we have a few sense of humors here!!

Blue Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />never tried smoking them , i just split them in half right down the middle, one now makes two, shell down on the grill butter and garlic on top 10 min done
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rob nails this one...  It's amazing how much flavor is imparted from the shell

I use wood in the grilling process, so you do get a little smokiness