Longer smoke diffuser?

Started by Patience, September 02, 2008, 06:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patience

Does anybody who already has a smoke generator know if the short smoke diffuser tube can be taken off, and a fabricated longer one put on?  I have a 4 foot wide cabinet, and the best place to mount it will be on the end.  I'm affraid the smoke will go up and out before getting to the goods on the far side of the cabinet.  Its not very deep, less than 2 foot, but I was hoping to get a smoke diffuser to go the length of the cabinet with bigger holes toward the far end.  What material would you use for such a thing?  The drip pans will still go above the generator, but there will be gaps of 2 inches between the walls and the pans and between the pans in the middle of the cabinet where the dividing studs are.

Or, do you think the smoke will still get dispersed good enough with factory harware?  Thanks!
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

Mr Walleye

Hi Patience

I can't really comment from experience and hopefully Iceman will be along and privide his expertise.

Having said that my thought is, if you have some form of circulation fan to keep the heat more even in the cabinet, it would also keep the smoke from the generator more evenly distributed. This is what I'm doing on my current build. It might also help if you could post a picture or two of your setup.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

Pat,

you may want to look into a air condition or vent duct in like a 3 or 4 inch size cap one end and drill holes in the duct where needed. I  do know  there made in solid steel 22 gage (  i believe ) just  get a stright  piece and cut it to length with about 2 to 3 inches to insert where the  smoke generator enters the box and to the far end.

if you  do this mod.. i would recomend that you  mount the  smoke generator and duck as far as back as you  could... you  may want to use a Tee where the smoke generator enters the box for the pucks drop off the generator.

the reason for mounting it in  the back is to allow for a drip tray to capture your drippings and letting them fall towards the middle and into a catch pan..

also you  may want to  think on venting as well in the ventalation aare of your  local hardware store  they  have some items that allows you to  go through the wall and some are adjustable by opening and closing a damper inside of a  duct this way your not loosing all of your  smoke and  heat

good  luck and have  fun

Beefmann