Multiple Butt question

Started by 2bh, September 05, 2008, 08:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bh

I'm new to the forum but a have been working with my Bradley (with mixed results) for about 4 years. I never seem to allow enuff time for the smoker to do it's job so I have to hit the BBQ to finish as guests arrive.

My question:

3-10 pound pork butts rubbed and rested for 24 hrs. Party is 1pm Saturday (tomorrow)

How long will it take to get the butts to 160 so I can FTC? From all the reading I have done it looks like about 4 hours of smoke followed by  10-12 hours?

I am ready to start now. You help and suggestions greatly appreciated!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum 2bh!

I don't do a lot of pork butts, the experts will be along shortly, but I would err to the long side and say 18-20 hours of total cook and smoke time and then plenty of FTC!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum 2bh!

If you want them FTC'd and ready to pull by 1PM, I would start them soon, probably no later than 5pm.

I usually start mine around 2100 (9pm) and apply 4 hours of smoke. Empty / refill water bowl. Leave in smoker or transfer to 200F oven, they will hit an IT of 190 around 1300 (1pm) to 1600 (4pm) .
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

2bh

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 05, 2008, 08:52:04 AM
W E L C O M E  to the Forum 2bh!

If you want them FTC'd and ready to pull by 1PM, I would start them soon, probably no later than 5pm.

I usually start mine around 2100 (9pm) and apply 4 hours of smoke. Empty / refill water bowl. Leave in smoker or transfer to 200F oven, they will hit an IT of 190 around 1300 (1pm) to 1600 (4pm) .

So, for 30# of butt, smoke 4 hours then cook at 200 for 12 hours then FTC? That would give me about 16 hours total cook time.

How long can you FTC safely?

KyNola

2bh,
Done correctly, you can safely FTC for 6 hours, maybe longer.  Noticed in your original post you mentioned beginning the FTC when your IT hits 160.  If you are going to pull the pork, my suggestion is to take the IT to at least 175, preferably at least 180 in order for the meat to pull easily.  If you are going to do something else with it, 160 would be OK.

Also, I think WTS gave you sound advice about allowing 18-20 hours.  Each butt is different.  If you hit your target IT sooner than allowed for, FTC will hold you.  Besides, it gives you more time to monitor the progress of your project while holding an adult hydration unit. ;)

KyNola 

Wildcat

I have been using the Bradley for smoking for 23 months now.  Although I am by no means an expert, 75 percent of my smokes are butts, 20 percent brisket, and 5 percent other vittles.  I smoke/cook at a box temp of around 205 for butts and brisket.  I apply 4 hours of smoke and continue cooking until an internal meat temp of 175 to 185.  I then let it rest wrapped in foil on the counter (or if it is a long time to dinner I FTC for up to 6 hours).  It generally takes me 18 to 24 hours for two butts weighing around 9 pounds to reach the right temperature in the smoker.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

2bh

Thanks for the advise folks. I started the smoke yesterday at noon for four hours. It took until 6am this morning (18 hours) to reach a box cook temp of 200 with 3-10# butts. That seems like a long time, is it?

Anyway, I have 8 more hours til the party, interneal temp is 150 and should hit 190 sometime around 10am and FTC until par-tay time.

The smell is driving my neighbors nuts... I love that part!

West Coast Kansan

That is an expected time frame. If your at 150 now it may still be tight. Depending on the Butt it could take a good long time to move above 165. That will also be normal. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

It should not normally take 18 hours to reach a box temp of 200.  Which smoker do you have?  What position do you have the vent in?  What are you measuring the cabinet/box temp with?  Are you using a PID? How hard is the wind blowing?  Did you put the butts in while cold?  How often are you opening the door?  Also, be sure that after the smoking period you empty the water bowl and refill with hot water.

2bh

Quote from: Wildcat on September 06, 2008, 11:10:04 AM
It should not normally take 18 hours to reach a box temp of 200.  Which smoker do you have?  What position do you have the vent in?  What are you measuring the cabinet/box temp with?  Are you using a PID? How hard is the wind blowing?  Did you put the butts in while cold?  How often are you opening the door?  Also, be sure that after the smoking period you empty the water bowl and refill with hot water.

Oh, wow! You sound like my ex-wife  ::)

1. original electric stainless steel
2. half open
3. http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=138
4. PID?
5. no wind - 100 degree day, 60 degree night
6. butts in cold -30 minutes out of fridge
7. 2 hour into smoke change water - 2 times after that
8. boiling water on refil

190degree reached 2 hours ago and FTC from here on

Wildcat

Sounds like every thing was fine.  I suspect your box temp was higher in the early stages, depending on where your gauge was mounted in relation to the heat source.  I recommend that you get a dual probe thermometer that will monitor the box and meat temp at the same time.  I, and many others, use the Maverick.

A PID is essentially and electronic gadget that can be attached to the bradley and will control the cabinet temperature to within a couple of degrees.  In addition to using the Maverick for meat temp, I also use an instant read to verify.

The door gauge is not the most accurate device to start with, but even if it were, when you have cold or even room temp meat in the bradley, the meat will cool the air near the door and give you a false reading for the rest of the box.  As the meat gets hotter, the door gauge will eventually reflect a more accurate box reading.  This will, of course, be graduated with the heat of the meat rising.

Hope this helps

Gizmo

Quote from: 2bh on September 06, 2008, 12:08:06 PM

2. half open
3. http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=138
4. PID?

Gotta ask a few more questions if you don't mind.

Did you preheat the BS before putting in the butts?  Take the box temp up to 260 deg before loading.
Did you leave the slider postion to the full on positinon, or just slightly shy of it?  I keep the temp setting higher (I have the digital and set this electronically) than the desired box temp until the box gets up to temp.
The position of the temp probe is important as well.  I have mine on the rack with meat near the center of the box.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

2bh

Quote from: Gizmo on September 06, 2008, 10:38:00 PM
Quote from: 2bh on September 06, 2008, 12:08:06 PM

2. half open
4. PID?

Gotta ask a few more questions if you don't mind.

Did you preheat the BS before putting in the butts?  Take the box temp up to 260 deg before loading.
Did you leave the slider postion to the full on positinon, or just slightly shy of it?  I keep the temp setting higher (I have the digital and set this electronically) than the desired box temp until the box gets up to temp.
The position of the temp probe is important as well.  I have mine on the rack with meat near the center of the box.

Yes I did preheat the BS to 260. The temp selector was at full on. I had all 3 butts in the top 3 shelves.

2bh

Quote from: Wildcat on September 06, 2008, 06:23:31 PM
Sounds like every thing was fine.  I suspect your box temp was higher in the early stages, depending on where your gauge was mounted in relation to the heat source.  I recommend that you get a dual probe thermometer that will monitor the box and meat temp at the same time.  I, and many others, use the Maverick.

A PID is essentially and electronic gadget that can be attached to the bradley and will control the cabinet temperature to within a couple of degrees.  In addition to using the Maverick for meat temp, I also use an instant read to verify.

The door gauge is not the most accurate device to start with, but even if it were, when you have cold or even room temp meat in the bradley, the meat will cool the air near the door and give you a false reading for the rest of the box.  As the meat gets hotter, the door gauge will eventually reflect a more accurate box reading.  This will, of course, be graduated with the heat of the meat rising.

Hope this helps

Where can I get a PID? Anyone have a link?
Also any other gadgets that will help me be a better smoker too!

Thanks everyone.

We did have a catasophe, I hope the whole smoking world will help me mourn my loss.

We thought we had served all the pork but missed one in the cooler. (too much drink) Alas, this morning I said goodbye to this perfectly smoked butt in a ceramony befitting a king... tossed that puppy right in the can!

Okay, party's over, I get to spend my Bday cleaning up!!

West Coast Kansan

At 20 to 30 lbs of meat I never get a true (ET73) box temp of 200 until my meat IT gets above about 150. 

Yesterday for example started at noon with two butts for 9/11 day at work and box temp was 187 last night at bedtime with the DBS set at 210. These are about 8-9 each, (two in pack were 17) with bone in.

It was 150 and 154. Reset the smoker to 200 and this morning at 6 I was at 170.

Temp reset to 220 and I guess I have 2-3 hours to 185. The true box will never hit 220.

I hang out in the plateau 155 to 165 as long as I dare to allow as much 'stuff' to convert to flavor as possible.

It takes a lot to get me excited about a low box temp for a long time now.  In fact that has become my friend.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)