Through cleaning of a OBS and maintence

Started by beefmann, September 05, 2008, 09:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

hello all

here is some photos of my through cleaning of my  smoker the before and after pictures, mainly to remove excess grease and look for any problems that may need attentition.

just befor disassembly

corner grease build up

heater cover  removed and better view.. and  yes that is a 900 watt finned  heater

hinged side grease build up in back corner

better shot of the smoke generator side  with grease buildup

smoke generator with grease build up between the  generator and cabinate

heater  and blower cover with grease build up

after a steam cleaning in the cabinate

fan / heater cover after cleaning

smoke generator after cleaning

Guys.,, Do your wipe downs after each use and do a through check for  excess grease build up.. if you have excess grease build up or your  BS has became excessivly dirty.. or  greasy .. its  time to do a through cleaning
and make it happin to ensure a long, and happy use of your bradley  smoker... 30 to 45 minutes of  cleaning twice a year is not that  much to protect you, your  loved ones and your  property...

for my  cleaning process i did use a steam shark and rags no chemicals were used in the  cleaning just  steam.

totall time after i has steam was 30 to 45 minutes including disassembly and re-assembly.. this cleaning was my second in a year and half and the first was right before i  did the heater mod over a year  ago

KyNola

Beef,
That's good advice.  One thing though and believe me I'm no expert and certainly not critisizing but I don't see how grease can be building up between your smoke generator and the cabinet.  I suspect that is smoke "resin" buildup and if it is, you can really destroy your smoke generator.  Maybe just maybe you need to be opening your vent a little more.  Again, I could be and most likely am totally wrong but that just seems a bit odd to me as I don't have that type of build up and I use my smoker quite frequently as well.

I mean no offense at all.

KyNola

beefmann

KY

you are correct it is wood resin and that is why i brought it to everyones attentitioin it still  needs to be cleaned along with the rest of the unit to prevent any  problems...I by no means am saying that it has to be spotless and remove the smokers personailty and seasoning ..  just remove the  excess to the point of where you  wont have to do it for a  while...

Beefmann

car54

Good info Beefman,

I have been thinking of using a steamer also. How did yours work?

Thanks, Brad

beefmann

Brad..

it works great..cuts right through the grease and creasote of the wood, in some cases you  might have some spots that might need some extra work but all and all very  easy.

the process is heaat up the steamer and  let it get hot.. once you  have  steam and some rags   ( the throw  awaw kind  )  chose an area to work about the size of 1/4 to 1/2  the bottom of the smoker... use the steamer to losen / heat the grease .. some of the grease might be  cooked on requireing  more work... after a few  seconds you  will see the steam working on the grease work the  area then turn off the steam.. and  wipe with rags,, then move to the next area and repeat untill the  job is compleated..

my 4  rack to 30 to 45  minutes to disamble cleaan and reasamble after i have  has  steam

Beefmann

West Coast Kansan

The cleaning is a great idea with that type of collection.  After more than two years I have come no where close to that kind of build up or streaking on the back walls - condensation runs  ???. The build up on SG also looks like vents being closed too far. No offense ment just thinking along the same lines as KyNola

The steamer does seem to be a great tool. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

beefmann

WCK,

the streaks on the back are from over spray of apple juice and orange soda... and  some from grease like the rest of the unit...

I  will admit after thinking  about it .. i might  have my vent  closed to  much during the  smoking  proces I useally  have it half open... should be enough !??!?!?!!