Bacon Question

Started by DTJ, September 09, 2008, 10:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTJ

I recently bought and skinned a whole pork bellyabout 15 lbs.  I cut it into four pieces for easier handling and storage while curing. After rubbing the cure on each piece they did not fit into the gallon zip bags I had.  I had to do something so I  stacked the pieces into a rubbermaid type storage container and have been rotating them daily.  Should I try to find larger bags and seperate or will the stacking in one container work.  Next time I will try the pieces before I stort, just when you think you have thought of everything!!!!

thanks for any help

Habanero Smoker

How many days have they been curing like this? How much liquid has bee accomulated? If you just started curing them, I would get 2 gallon bags and cure them separately.

If you are near the end of your curing period, I would continue to do what you are doing, but when you rotate also flip them over. When each piece is uniformly firm, they are fully cured.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTJ

Habs
Thank you for the reply.  They have been curing for about 4 days.  There is what I would consider quite a bit of liquid. The container is just a little bigger than the slabs and there is about an inch of liquid in the container.  I will put them in the bags.  Should I distribute some of the liquid to each bag??

Again thank you for the help

Daryl

KyNola

Habs is so much more qualified than me and whatever he tells you, take his suggestions over mine.  Personally, I would put each piece in a separate bag with some of the liquid equally distributed into each bag and as you are closing the bag, squeeze as much air out as possible.  As Habs says, you will know it has adequately cured when each piece becomes firm.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

If you do place them in bags, then yes distribrute the liquid evenly.

How long are you planning to cure them for? I generally cure mine 5 - 7 days. If you use the same curing times, I would have kept curing the same way for at least one more day out of curiosity to see to see what the outcome would be.

Let us know how they turn out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

I was planning on curing at least 10 days.   Some of the reason being my schedule and when I can smoke it.  Now I am not sure if I should leave it or bag it. I did, if anyone cares leave the skin on one piece. To see how the cure penetrates, how the smoke penetrates and how the flavor is compared to the skin removed.  My thoughts are penetration will not be as good but the skin may come off easier.  Just thought I would expirement.

Daryl

Habanero Smoker

Don't go crazy over this. :) If you have 5 days to go, then I would bag it. If it were 1 day left, then I would have left it as is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

Thanks Habs that is what I will do.