Have not purchased yet

Started by schneep, September 09, 2008, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

:-\  Original Bradly is product I am lookig at?

I have not purchased anything yet, so help me out.

Bass Pro site has some very bad reviews about a Bradly, and also a couple better ones.
Not sure if I should purchase ???

How long before you were satisfied? If you were?
What have your results been? Learning curve?
What is this IT(?)-73 I am reading about? What does it do? Cost?
What is a PID?  Where do I get one and is it easy to install?
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

Tiny Tim

I couldn't be happier with mine...but I have added the PID.  I take the reviews at Bass Pro and Cabela's with a grain of salt as it appears that some of the reviewers are just there to cause trouble, and I guess there are some that could be over enthusiastic about a product as well.

Right out of the box, I could control the temp pretty well, and it really didn't take much learning.  I only added the PID because I like to set to a number right away rather than chase it through a couple of tweaks on the slider.

The Maverick ET-73 is a dual probe remote thermometer that lets you monitor both the smoker box temp and the internal meat temp at the same time from inside your house, if you'd rather not sit right next to the smoker as it does it's thing.

The PID is a device that allows you to control the temp in the smoker to +/- 1 degree of where you set it.  I built mine with the plans located on the recipe site (link in my signature) under the accessories section, but they also now have a plug and play version available.  I believe the site is http://www.auberins.com.

I'll be honest with you, I am a dealer for the Bradley Smokers and accessories, but I also don't sell products that I don't beleive in...just wouldn't feel right.

Hope I have been of some assistance.

Mr Walleye

Schneep, welcome to the forum.

Tiny pretty much summed it up for you. The only thing I would add regarding reviews is some people expect to pull it out of the box, fire it up, throw some meat at it and walk away till it's done. Although I think the Bradley is as close as you come to that, I have never heard of any smoker that really is. By adding the PID or BBQ Guru's DIGIQ II/Raptor the Bradley really is as close to a set and forget smoker as you are going to get. As with any smoker there will be a learning curve but with the help of the many dedicated members of this forum help is pretty close by.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 10, 2008, 08:41:05 AM
Schneep, welcome to the forum.

Tiny pretty much summed it up for you.The Bradley really is as close to a set and forget smoker as you are going to get. As with any smoker there will be a learning curve but with the help of the many dedicated members of this forum help is pretty close by.  ;)

Mike

The learning curve is pretty small as well. There is a wealth of knowledge out here and all you have to do is ask.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Schneep,
I have owned just about every kind of smoker known to man, including one so big they put it in my Grand Cherokee with a forklift.  I can honestly tell you the Bradley is the simplest, most foolproof smoker I have ever owned.  It does what it says it will do.  Certainly you have to get used to using it but it's no big deal PLUS you get the free added benefit of the folks on this forum.  This is the most helpful bunch of folks I have ever had the pleasure to be associated with.  They always answer my many stupid questions without fail and encourage you every step of the way.

KyNola

Wildcat

These guys are right on.  I am not a dealer and have the original.  I smoked with it for about 1.5 years before adding the PID.  PID is not required, but a "nice to have item".  I highly recommend the ET-73 and an instant read thermometer (primarily for verification).
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

Schneep

I have looked at most or all of the smokers including the one from home depot at about  $ 60.00 to one from master craft and a lot others and they all have there own quirks all will either have no tempture controll or you will have to  continually feed it  smoking  chips,,, Again a baby  sitting  job!!! do you want to babysit your  smoker  or have a wonderfull meal with  friends and family ?

then get a bradley smoker.. it will advance the smoking biskets for you  automatically and with a PID ( tempture  controller ) you will have a hasel free smoking process.

the PID will hold the tempture close  to the tempture that  you  want... how  ever the more food you  put into the  unit the longer it will take to get up to the tempture that you want ... most  of the time  we all  cook at 180 to 225' F and with a 500 watt heater that is in the Bradley it takes a while with 20 to 30 lbs of  food..

I have done a major  mod to mine which includes a PID, Blower/ fan and 900 watt finned heater and have no problems with heat...and love it ..

also loved the  smoker befor the mod and it  is the best that i  have  seen and used would recomend it highly almost to the point that it  is the best that i  have ran across just a little under powered is the only  bad thing i can  say

Beefmann

schneep

Thanks to all of you, I am being swayed. ::)

Ed1978

Just to let you know, I had never smoked any meat before I got Bradley. With the help from this forum members and some video searching in youtube, I've successfully smoked some baby back ribs, pulled pork, and chicken. You don't have to be a BBQ pit master to make a great smoked meat  :D

schneep

On average, how often do most of you use your smoker?

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum schneep!

I use mine every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday and typically a couple more times during the week mainly to just apply a little smoke to whatever I'm grilling/cooking!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

most every weekend 46 out of 52 weeks and thiis depends if is raining  outside ahhh what the h*** a lil  water  wont  hurt  me ... i wont  melt.... he he he

schneep

The local Gander mtn carries them and I am going to check it out tomorrow :o
I'm excited ::)

bflosmoke

Welcome Schneep
I have only had mine for about 6 weeks and like you I checked out a bunch of reviews. I figured that alot of the negatives were by people who wouldnt be satisfied with anything and that some of their complaints were rediculess.
In the 6 weeks I have had my obs I have done 5 pork shoulders , a brisket, 2 racks of ribs, chicken wings and a standing rib roast (prime rib) and all have come out wonderfully. I had never used a smoker a day in my life but it was pretty easy with all of the help I got on this sight. (thanks again everyone). I do not have a PID yet but I am planning on it soon.
My advice is its a great way to prepare food and a very rewarding hobby, os feel free to go for it.
BFLO

La Quinta

Schneep...go look at the Bradley...read everything you can and look at all of the posts on this forum...trust me...the decision will be easy! I've had many a smoker in my day...but if you want a "set it and forget it" while you entertain (or play with kids...or dogs...) you can rely on this unit! You just need a few more "acessorries" to make it your own. Frankly...I don't have any of those and I'm thrilled with it!!! (Sent them all to my Mom!!) Bought her a Bradley OBS last year!!