Have not purchased yet

Started by schneep, September 09, 2008, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum schneep!

The others have you pointed in the right direction. I use my OBS almost every weekend. I continue to be amazed by the food that comes out of my smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

Schneep: welcome, first of all.  I haven't read the reviews criticizing the machine at Bass Pro or Cabella's, but I couldn't be happier personally.  I do have a few minor gripes that I think could be addressed through engineering (such as temp swings around the digital's target cook temperature), but I'd buy this box again and again.  The only other machine that makes similar claims which caught my eye is the Traeger, but I bought the Bradley DBS.  I used to use a Weber charcoal water smoker (looks like an R2D2 painted black), but I went looking for a smoker that enabled me to be as well rested as my dinner guests.  I'm not against hard work, or long hours, but I am against an inability to enjoy the party I arranged.   ;D

I have read about successful cooking projects from champions and novices here.  The information in the instruction manual, and more importantly, from the seasoned veterans here, will get you from point A to happy family with full bellies.  I concede that I've read the occasional "blast" of this product here and elsewhere.  I have not read a cogent explanation of why those parties are dissatisfied.  Reading between the lines (and maybe I'm being over critical of the critics), I was left with the impression that the unhappy parties were looking for a "smoker microwave." 

I think you'll be happy with the Bradley and look forward to reading about your successes here.  Cheers!
Consiglieri

schneep

WHOOPIE!!

Just picked it up last night, and going out to assembly right after this post, then on to seasoning it.  If anyone has any suggestions, send them as I will monitor this site.
     Going to try pulled pork this weekend!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

beefmann

congrats scheep

your gonna  enjoy your  smoker and i hops you  picked up a variaty  of chips/ pucks for your  seasoning and smoke.. just  remember take your time.... i mean ... T A K E     Y O U R     T I M E... let the smoker  do the  work for  you and done be afread to experiment smoke and cook at the  same time... then smoke only  then cook... doing a  high IT  temp on the  meats such as a 180 IT on beef  or pork  unlike 145  to 165  or anywhere inbetween to find out  what you  like..

you  will be on a  learning  curve for the  smoker .. once  learned  then you  will be like the rest  of us making good  smoked food

your  first smoke should be between 6 and 10 hours from the start  of  the smoking / cooking  to compleation and ready to  eat,

if you want  it to fall apart good then 18 to24 hours depending on the  size of the piece of  meat

good  luck  once again

good smoking

Beefmann

schneep

Wow!!

Everything went so ez, it is now in the cure process, I was so excited and I thought I had a problem, but in my exuberance, I forgot to plug the da*& thing in!!

I have a tiny air (smoke) leak in the door seal, is this normal or ok?  Other than that, it is holding the temp as directed and making smoke.

Can't wait for the weekend to do a pulled pork.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.  I will sure be asking alot of questions. ;)

beefmann

schneep,

i wouldent worry about a lil bit  of  smoke , next time you are at the smoker with the door  closed  look at the gasket  to see  if it  is laying  flat ..  if it is not you   can adjust it with the  door closed with light presure...

sounds like  other then that  everytrhing is going  good

Beefmann

josbocc

schneep,

Welcome to the forum.  I echo everything that was already pointed-out.  Good luck with your smoking, and keep us posted with your results.  Remember to try the ABT's.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KyNola

Schneep,
Congratulations!  I am so proud of you for making the right decision.  What finally swayed you to the Bradley?  No matter what it was, you made the right move.  As for the smoke "leak", wouldn't worry a lot about that.  As the gasket heats up for the first time, it may "seat" itself a little better.  If not, don't sweat it.  Now, unless you are extremely fortunate somewhere along the way you may feel frustrated, confused or just down right P.O.'d with your Bradley.  That's OK, we are all here to walk you through whatever the issue may be or simply answer that "stupid" question you may think you have.  I think I'm up to my bazillionth stupid question and so far everyone has been more than gracious in answering me.

Welcome to the family and let us know how the pulled pork turns out!
KyNola

schneep

Ok, thanks to all for your comments and help, now here I go with some questions.

Where do I get a plug and play "PID"?

Where do I get a ET-73?

What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork? (8-10 lb)

Is there still on-line deals on pucks?

I have mesquite, hickory and apple pucks, if I mix them for the pork, is that going to work, or should I use one type alone?

Thanks in advance, but I gotta srart someplace. :o

Habanero Smoker

The best cut for pulled pork is the Boston Butt; also called the Butt, and sometime referred to as shoulder roast. Don't confuse it with the picnic should, which is leaner, though many love that cut for pulled pork.

For the ET-73, Yard and Pool sells them, or you can do a search. If you need it in a hurry don't purchase it from iKitchen. They may have the best price, but you will be waiting at least 30 days for anything that is ordered from them.

For wood of the three listed, my preference would be apple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Schneep, welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to the Auber plug & play units which is what most here are using. There's 2 different ones for the Bradley. One will ramp the temps up automatically.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=7bc32963c633f99a650be31f7836f0c4

Here is a link to Bryan's site (Yard & Pool) he is a momber here on the forum and a great guy to deal with. He stocks the ET73.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-Remote-ET-73-Smoker-Thermometer-p947.html

For pulled pork - pork butt, or also called pork shoulder, butt end. Either bone in or out, most get them bone in.

It was Amazon.com that had the deals on pucks but I'm not sure if they still do. Yard & Pool also sells them.

You can mix the puck flavors if you want, many do. If's kinda a personal taste thing. I would try probably try just one to find where your tastes are. I use a lot of hickory on pork but I also like apple as well.

Good luck & keep us posted

Mike

edit: Habs beat me to it!  :D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: schneep on September 18, 2008, 02:01:09 PM
Ok, thanks to all for your comments and help, now here I go with some questions.

Where do I get a plug and play "PID"?

Where do I get a ET-73?

What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork? (8-10 lb)

Is there still on-line deals on pucks?

I have mesquite, hickory and apple pucks, if I mix them for the pork, is that going to work, or should I use one type alone?

Thanks in advance, but I gotta srart someplace. :o

A: I dont have a PID cant help there
B: The ET-73 can be bought on EBAY or I got another one at Cabela's
C: Pork shoulder/Boston Butt but I have smoked a Pork Loin for my brother that he pulled. Waste of good meat IMHO
D: Brian at Yard and Pool is my source for pucks i consider that a deal every time I buy them.
E: Hickory works best for me (Better than that nasty mesquite stuff WTS uses LOL) Fruit woods will give a lighter smoker flavor than will the Hickory or Mesquite.

Just some thoughts
Chris
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Everyone else already has you covered but I have to vote for hickory on the butts for pulled pork.  It IS the wood of choice for pulled pork. :D

Have a great time and let us know the outcome.  Remember, with pulled pork you can't rush success,

KyNola

La Quinta

I'm goin with Ky on the wood choice...I do pulled pork in hickory as well. Actually, I do all pork in hickory...except for Habs Canadian bacon.

schneep

Just ordered the programable PID and the ET-73.  They won't be here for my 1st smoke, as I will be stopping to get a pork butt tommorrow!!

I will take pics as this all gets started, provided I can find out how this site does that.  ???

Josbocc--- What are ABT's ?