Smoked mussels ....... not low and slow!

Started by manxman, September 12, 2008, 06:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

I have been pondering for a while how to hot smoke live mussels in the BS. Currently I steam them first on the hob then smoke them separately for a short while, I like my shellfish cooked on a medium  to high heat for as short a time as possible and I have usually restricted use of my OBS to cold smoking shellfish.

Anyway, I came up with the method for the BS below which I was very pleased with.

Method:

1. Put the V pan, , tray, waterbowl (plus water) and two racks (on the lower shelves) in the BS, vent half - 2/3rds open.

2. Put a suitable heat resistant metal container in the middle of the upper rack. It must be colander-like, the bigger the holes the better. I used something similar in shape to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Square-Colander-Red/dp/B000X1AUHO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1221219967&sr=1-2

although it is black enamelled metal, has more and bigger holes and is about 6 inches square. The mussels can be piled into this dish when smoking as there enough gaps between the shells for the smoke to penetrate.

3. Directly below the container mentioned above place a glass "pyrex" type heat resistant glass bowl of similar diameter.

4. Place 2 or 3 bisquettes (I would recommend apple or oak) in the smoke generator hopper plus bubba pucks etc.

5. Swith the BS on and turn the temperature control up to as high as it will go, whilst on my OBS the highest temperature possible when empty is about 320F, the max temp achievable when loaded as above is around 270 - 280F.

6.Whilst the BS is warming up prepare the live mussels (1 - 2 lb), removing any that are cracked or don't close on tapping etc. Wash thoroughly.

7. When the BS temp is approaching 270F load the first bisquette. Let it go the full 20 minutes, smoke from this will coat the pyrex dish with smoke residue.

8. Let the second bisquette load and just as it is starting to produce smoke open the door and load the mussels into the receptacle in 2. above. Do this as quickly as possible to minimise temperatue drop, hopefully no more than 30 - 40F.

9. Smoke for 20 - 40 minutes depending on preference, however leave the mussels in the BS for around 40 - 45 minutes in total.

10. The liquid from the cooking / smoking mussels will drop through the holes and be collected in the pyrex dish below, the smoke residue already on the pyrex dish will impart a nice smokey flavour on this liquid.

11. After 40 - 45 minutes take the mussels out of the smoker and put in a bowl, pour the liquid from the pyrex dish over the mussels.

12. Leave for a few minutes to cool somewhat then remove and discard any mussels that haven't opened.  Add 1 - 2 oz butter and coarse ground black pepper to taste.

13. Transfer  contents to a vacuum seal bag and seal, try to keep the mussels spread out to a single layer in the bag which will aid reheating. Place in a refrigerator for 24 -48 hours, no longer than 48 hours.

14. Mussels may be re-heated by boil in the bag or I have found the microwave works equally well!

15. Eat with crusty French bread, this is great for mopping up the juices!!

We probable eat mussels at least once a week, usually with garlic butter and pepper added. Hot smoked mussels make a nice variation to this.  :)

Any suggestions / ideas for modifications welcome!  ;)

Manxman

Tenpoint5

Quote from: manxman on September 12, 2008, 06:19:53 AM
I have usually restricted use of my OBS to cold smoking shellfish.

Dude!!!! You come up with a recipe like that, and then tell us you only use your OBS for cold smoking fish!!!!! What are you smoking SILLY PUTTY? If you is it's Puff Puff Pass, Don't Bogart. LOL

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

manxman

QuoteDude!!!! You come up with a recipe like that, and then tell us you only use your OBS for cold smoking fish!!!!! What are you smoking SILLY PUTTY? If you is it's Puff Puff Pass, Don't Bogart. LOL

Hahaha ......... used my OBS for loads of both hot and cold smoked fish, it's the shellfish I have struggled with. The last time I did scallops they turned out like rubber erasures!  :o :-[ ;)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

This sounds like a winner. Once you got it to your satisfaction, would you mind if this went on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteThis sounds like a winner. Once you got it to your satisfaction, would you mind if this went on the recipe site.

More than happy for it to go on the recipe site Habs, perhaps leave it here for a couple of days to see if anyone picks up on any omissions or errors or clear up any points that aren't clear?

I will re-read it a couple of times as well! ;)

I am always conscious that most people who visit the forum are on the other side of the pond and try to take that into account when posting. For example my understanding is that "rubbers" have a whole different meaning on your side of the pond to ours!! To us a rubber is something you erase pencil marks from a book.... you say erasure (?) we say rubber!!  ;) :D

Manxman

Tenpoint5

Don't take that serious. I was in pretty good humor this morning when I got home after a 12 hr shift. Then I went and had a trip to the Eye Doc. Can you say Sticker Shock!!! I thought I was getting a cheaper pair of glasses (My first pair) $400 I could buy another smoker for that. I guess my Hunting dog that I sold just became a SEEING EYE DOG as well.

By the way that sounds like a pretty good recipe. The closest thing to mussles I have around here is clams in the Mississippi.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

Great. I was ready to send Olds the updated data, but this recipe (as is the one by Pachanga) is so unique I'll wait until this recipe is included, before sending the data to Olds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

I think it looks awesome...what a great and innovative idea with the "smoked bowl". Wow...how the heck did you come up with that Manx?

manxman

Quotehow the heck did you come up with that Manx?

It had crossed my mind a fair while ago that it may be a way of infusing a liquid with smoke flavour and it had been on my list of things to try. Also I think it was Habs who made a comment here on the forum along similar lines quite recently when someone asked about infusing olive oil or some other liquid with smoke flavour. That gave me an incentive to give it a try so HS can take some of the credit for it!  ;) :D

Equally if it didn't work I could have put part of the blame on him!!  ::) ::)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on September 13, 2008, 01:33:18 AM
Also I think it was Habs who made a comment here on the forum along similar lines quite recently when someone asked about infusing olive oil or some other liquid with smoke flavour. That gave me an incentive to give it a try so HS can take some of the credit for it!  ;) :D

I don't know if I should get any credit. I was just throwing out thought, I would have never tried it myself. :)

Quote from: manxman on September 13, 2008, 01:33:18 AM
Equally if it didn't work I could have put part of the blame on him!!  ::) ::)

If it didn't work, I would have done a search. deleted that post, and pretend I didn't know what you were talking about. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tsquared

Manx I have never tried smoking mussels but I do oysters once in awhile, usually already shucked. When we do them I usually put on some kind of rub, smoke at 250 for 45 minutes and eat. I am curious as to your wait time between the smoke and your consumption--smoke flavour penetration?
T2

West Coast Kansan

Hahaha ......... used my OBS for loads of both hot and cold smoked fish, it's the shellfish I have struggled with. The last time I did scallops they turned out like rubber erasures!  :o :-[ ;)

[/quote]

I share your scallop experience more than once.  Some heat them fast with good results  ??? but I have finally gotten some consistent results with slower and a IT temp at 135 F. Seems any more and it is eraser time. They seem cooked which is important to KS folks but not over cooked.  Still working on the seasoning combinations to get some variations beyond sweet candy and bacon wrapped. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

The rain held off enough for me to smoke some mussels to day, and they came out great. I have a grill wok similar to This Wok but mine is porcelain, so I used that. My smoker would only get to 260°F, so I had to leave the mussels in for an extra 15 – 20 minutes. The liquid evaporated but with a little hot water I was able to "deglaze' the bowl.

This recipe is a definite must try. My only complaint is the quality of mussels I purchased. Now I have to try T2 oysters.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kummok

I feel like such a schmuck here, ManX.....we have mussels EVERYWHERE....zillions of them and I just can't seem to develop a taste for them. Wish I could...I'd be in mussel muncher heaven!  It might be that I've just never had them done "right". I know that's the case with many folks who visit us, "hating salmon" and, after sampling salmon "done right",  leave us with fishpacs loaded and anxious to try our recipes at home. NOT saying that I'll never like these "barnacle look-a-likes", just that so far they remind me of something I'd scrape off the bottom of my boat... :-\  I'm gonna watch for the final edition of your recipe and give them "one more try"....here's hopin'!! :) ThanX for the prescription!

westexasmoker

I'm ready for this recipe Manx...Love steamed clams and mussels, and tried once in the smoker with mediocre results.  Can't wait to try again!  I can use mesquite, right?  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!