Smoked mussels ....... not low and slow!

Started by manxman, September 12, 2008, 06:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Quotesmoke flavour penetration?

Yes, that was the reason I left them for a while. Didn't try eating them straight out of habit really, as I let most things I smoke sit for at least 24 hours before eating. If anyone does try this recipe and eats them straight away let me know if it works out!  ;)

QuoteI can use mesquite, right?

Hahaha....... no responsibility can be taken for the use of mesquite on this recipe!!  ;)

QuoteI feel like such a schmuck here, ManX.....we have mussels EVERYWHERE....zillions of them

We have quite a lot of mussels around here plus thay are readily available in the shops. Usually have them with garlic butter but chilli and fresh cream is also nice, if not good for the arteries!! The smoked version has added another option.  :)

Thanks for the PM Habs, the picture you sent is EXACTLY like the colander type bowl I used, I will check through the suggestions you made and PM you back tomorrow.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I use to go to an Italian restaurant, and they made the best mussels in a marinara sauce. I'm going to search for a similar recipe, and add about half the smoked mussels during the last 5 - 10 minutes.

Manxman;
That picture I sent you is what is called a grill wok. I have a round one that I use for cooking cubed vegetables on the grill. It also comes in handy for cubed meat when you don't want to use skewers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteThat picture I sent you is what is called a grill wok. I have a round one that I use for cooking cubed vegetables on the grill. It also comes in handy for cubed meat when you don't want to use skewers.

Yes, I bought it for cooking vegetables on the grill, couldn't remember the name of it through! Good idea regarding cubed meat, will try that sometime.

QuoteMy smoker would only get to 260°F, so I had to leave the mussels in for an extra 15 – 20 minutes.

I now have my BS in a purpose built vented small wooden shed and smoked the mussels on one of the very few blazing hot calm days we have had this summer .... no wind chill factor for once! ..... that may have given me a few extra degrees!

QuoteMy only complaint is the quality of mussels I purchased.
The liquid evaporated but with a little hot water I was able to "deglaze' the bowl.

Quite a lot of the shop bought mussels are of dubious quality, last time I bought some I rejected the first three packs I was offered!

When using shop bought mussels I always put them back in seawater for a day or so before cooking, they tend to dry out quite a bit if left out of water for very long. Then again, I am lucky, I live 200 yards from the sea!

If they have been out of water for a while very little juice comes off them sometimes, "deglazing" sounds like a good idea in such a circumstance.

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I really like this recipe. The mussels get just the right amount of smoke. I hope to get another batch done this Wednesday. Also I never knew about the tip of tapping fresh mussels if they are open to see if they close.

I should have the recipe posted later this evening.

Thanks again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Quoteshould have the recipe posted later this evening.

Note there will be a couple of minor modifications / suggestions in the version on the recipe site, will post a link here when finalised.  :)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

No problem.

Is this different from the PM you sent, at around 7 AM. I'll check back later.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteIs this different from the PM you sent,

No, I was refering to the same modifications / suggestions I PM'ed you with Habs. Thanks.  :)

Link to recipe site smoked mussels:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=850#post850

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Great! I didn't want to post the link until I knew everything was alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteI didn't want to post the link until I knew everything was alright.

Everything fine by me Habs, good job done.  :)

Manxman