Is a 15 pound brisket cut in half still 15 lbs of meat, or 7.5lbs?

Started by litespeedaddict, October 06, 2008, 05:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litespeedaddict

Getting ready to fire up the new digital BS in the next 24 hrs and have a question regarding potential cook times. Most people suggest approx. 1 hour a 15 minutes per pound of brisket (give or take). I bought a 15 pounder that obviously will not fit in the smoker without cutting it in half.

My question is this, it's still 15 pounds of meat right? So should I figure approximate cooking time @ 15 lbs @ 1 hr & 15 minutes, or 7.5 lbs @ 1 hr & 15 minutes since I'll cut it in half?

westexasmoker

Connective tissue is connective tissue, it should still take the full cook time to break it down!  Good luck and keep us posted!  Dang its time to do another brisket!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

if you  put aaall  15 lbs in i would say 1 hr 15 mins  per  lb... I am in the process  of making a 15 lb surloin roast   doing it whole in the  smoker and the last one was done the following  way ... 4 pm 3 hours of cold  smoke of your  favoite smoke ( i used a mix of misquite and hickory ) at 7 pm turned off smoke and turned on heat at box temp of 210 and a  spritz of orange soda.. closed the  box. right befor bed at  11 opened smoker .. turned the  meat  around along  with another  spritz.. and  went to  bed...

got  up at  6 am  checked the meat made another rotation and  another  spritz .. placed remote therometer in it.. at this  time the it  was 158...  let it in untill it  hit  170...that was 1:30 in the afternoon then FTC till  dinner..

so i would  say 1 hr  15 mins  would be about  right...

one  question is why cant you  put  the brisket on one rack? is it to  long??

if it is .. i  would  cut  it right in the  middle and  place on two racks ... rotating top to bottom and front to  back every couple  of  hours