Auber PID and Kummok's Salmon

Started by josbocc, September 17, 2008, 02:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey All,

It's been a good week.  My new Auber PID came in, and a friend of mine that dislikes eating fish just came back from a salmon fishing trip in Pulaski, NY and dumped about 17 lbs. of fresh salmon fillets on me.  I hate it when that happens ;D ;D ;D

I'm doing the trial run on the PID right now.  Appears to be going well, my et-73 is reading about 3 degrees higher than the PID display, but that beats the heck out of the 30 - 40 degree swings that I was getting when I first got my BDS6.

Questions for the guru's of smoking:

1)  I am going to use Kummok's recipe, and have noticed that he didn't indicate the duration of smoke applied.  I am capable of programming the PID to go from temp to temp, and for the specified amount of time, but how long should I put the smoke to the little critters?

2)  I have apple, mesquite, hickory, pecan, and special blend available at the moment.  Any suggestions on which wood to use, or combination thereof?  (WestTexasSmoker, you don't get to answer this question ;) as you are obviously tainted)

3)  Which adult beverage goes best while smoking salmon?  I have my elderly parents coming to town this weekend, and I think that I may be able to convince them that I have to tend to the smoker at all times.  Having the correct beverage may be of an extreme benefit for later in the evening.  It's not that I don't love the folks, but I've already heard all of the stories from the past, and would prefer to have my fiancee entertain Mom and Dad while I (George Bush saying...) "SMOKERIZE"

Thanks for any input,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pullinpork

Hello Jeff, where did you get your Auber PID from? I would like to get one myself.

josbocc

Hey Pullin'

Got mine right from Auber Instruments.

www.auberins.com

Found them on E-bay, but going directly from the manufacturer actually proved to be cheaper.  I'm still running my initial test, and so far it is performing flawlessly.  It's jumped from one temp to the next as programmed, and it wasn't difficult to program.  Looking forward to those salmon.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Wildcat

I personally have not smoked fish yet, but from what I have read on this forum, you should probably go 1.5 to 2 hours.

I think Alder is what many of the experienced fish smokers use.  Of the choices that you have on hand, I would say apple.

For question 3 - this is a no brainer - your favorite.  ;D

Enjoy.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

josbocc

Wildcat,

Thanks for the input.  Was leaning towards the apple unless I was tempted to go astray.  In regards to your suggestion for question # 3..., apparently you missed some of my earlier posts.  I'm in Northern NY, and therefore am affectionatley considered a "Frozen Brain."  That being said, a "no-brainer" doesn't do me much good. ??? ???

Your suggestions are still welcome ;D

Jeff

DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pullinpork

Thanks Jeff, Just ordered mine, does it come with all of the cables needed?

josbocc

Pullin'

If you've got a digital you'll need a standard computer power cable.  I grabbed one from an old PC monitor that I had kicking around.  I'm sure that you can find them at Staples or Radio Shack if you don't have one.  (Check with your techno-geek friends, I'm sure that someone will have one.)

If you've got an Original, I don't think that the computer power cable is necessary. 

I finished my test run, and the PID performed exactly as it was supposed to.  Kept the temp within 3 degrees through all of my temperature changes, and the temp raised (or lowered) within minutes of when it was supposed to.  Kudos to the folks at Auber :)

Good luck with yours, and keep us posted with your results.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pullinpork

Thanks Jeff, I do have a 4 rack digital I called the people at Auber and they are going to throw the cable in with no charge. Awesome people, very good customer service. I am looking forward to hooking it up and trying it out. Thanks for all of the info. I hope your salmon turns out. I would go with an amber ale to enjoy while you are enjoying the sweet smell of the Bradley in action. Keep us posted on your results.

josbocc

Pullin'

You reading my mind?  I was considering a Saranac Amber Ale as the beverage of choice. 

I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience with the folks at Auber.  I hope that I don't need to test their customer service, but it's always nice to know that they are there if you need them.  Will definitely post the results of the salmon.  Thanks Kummok!

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KyNola

Hey Jeff,
Congrats on the PID, I want one of those.  I'm with Wildcat, without alder and based on what you have on hand I would go with apple.  I keep alder in stock just for salmon. WC also has you on track for the smoke time.  I would go with 2 hours.

Haven't forgot you about the gumbo recipe either.  Last night, pulled out my recipe for tasso in the BDS.  Perfect seasoning meat for gumbo, jambalaya, pot of beans, etc.  Took two recipes for tasso posted by StickBowCrafter and NePaSmoker and combined them to my own liking.  Might post it and give the ultimate credit to the two who inspired me.

KyNola

Kummok

Amount of smoke time is personal preference but I smoke the entire 3.5 hours, with alder...again personal preference wood of choice for most salmon smokers up here...then again, there's always mesquite, eh WTS?!?!?  ;) ;)  Also personal pref, but I like porter or stout with smoked feeder King and merlot with smoked Reds OR Kokanee with anything!!

Habanero Smoker

josbocc;

I didn't know you where from the part of New York that has three seasons; July, August and Winter. :)

Apple is also a good choice for salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

No offense meant on the "no brainer" comment josbocc.  Just trying to be cute.  I no longer keep up with what is the proper adult beverage with the different foods nor do I consume in that fashion anymore.  When I did it was not as enjoyable for me.  I just simply have what I want and enjoy it.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

josbocc

Wildcat,

No offense taken!!!  I can be just as much of a smart@$$ as the next.  In my book, frozen-brain, and nobrainer are somewhat synonymous.  If I'm dumb enough to live up here in "Little Siberia" then I deserve all of the shots that you guys can give me  ;)

Yes we do have four seasons up here.  We've got summer, close to winter, winter, and the end of winter.  I am looking forward to snowmobiling season, and hope to have some smoked salmon left in the freezer once we get there, but I'm not counting on it.

Ky, I will be looking forward to that Gumbo recipe.  Think that will go well with "close to winter" season.  The PID works great, and I hope to post photos of my first salmon smoke after the weekend.

Thanks Kummok for the input.  I stopped at Gander Mtn this evening and picked up some alder pucks.  Can't wait to brine tomorrow, then smoke on Sat.

You guys are great!  Thanks for all of the replies, and I will keep you posted.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

josbocc

All Hail Kummok, the salmon King,Once again, stupid forgot the digital camera at home, so there are no photos of my endeavour.  Nonetheless, the PID performed exactly as it was supposed to, the brine was outstanding, and the end result was pure ecstacy.

I've got about 13 packages of smoked salmon in the freezer, and it tastes phenomenal.  Thanks so much to Kummok for sharing his recipe, and to all of you that convinced me to buy the PID.  It is well worth the money.  After brining, I set the PID, and basically just walked away from it until it started beeping about 8 hours later.  At times the smoke generator on my DBS6 was almost 40 degrees off in comparison to what the PID was set for, and what my et-73 was reading.  The folks at Bradley should really look into this issue.

Thanks again everyone for you help,

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!