Plug & Play PID

Started by sherlock, September 18, 2008, 07:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Is there such a thing as "Plug & Play" PID's?

If so where can I buy one and about what would they cost?

I know some of you made your own from components but I don't feel confident in my electronic abilities.

My Bradley smoker is a four rack digital.

I don't like the 30 to 40 degree temperature swings I am experiencing now. Results have been ok, but it just seems that a uniform temperature would be best.

What have others experienced after starting to use your PID? Is it REALLY beneficial?

Thanks
Nathan

westexasmoker

I think I've seen the plug and play on ebay.  I built mine following the plans from the recipe site, and trust me if I can do it you can too!  Also once you use the pid with your smoker you'll wonder how you lived without it, it truly does become set it and forget it!  I just noticed you have a DBS, I run an OBS so I'm not sure about the pid on the digital.  Someone will be along with more knowledge than I!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Sherlock

Here is a link to the plug & play PID's from Auber that a number of people around here are using. There is 2 different ones for the Bradley. One has the ability to ramp the temp up. I built my own using Auber parts and they work flawlessly. They are also a great company to deal with.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=7bc32963c633f99a650be31f7836f0c4

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Sherlock,

I have the Auber plug & play PID (see Mr. Walleye's post above for the link) & it works great. 

As Mike said the company is great to deal with.  The first one I received was DOA but I sent an email over Memorial Day weekend & actually received an email back w/in 45 minutes requesting my phone number so he could call & see if anything could be done over the phone.   

Deb

sherlock

Mike & Deb

Do you have a "digital" smoker?

I send an email to Auber to see if it works on a Digital unit.

Thanks for the reply

Nathan

sherlock

W O W

Sent inquirey to Auber @ 1:38. Received reply at 1:44.

They said YES, it works with the digital  Bradley smoker.

The programable unit is $149. Would I save much buying components and assembling it myself if I could figure out how to do it?

Thanks again for the replies

Nathan

Mr Walleye

Sherlock

Either one of them will work with the DBS. I have mine connected to my DBS as well.

Would you save much building it yourself? That's a hard question for me because I'm in Canada. When I built mine there weren't any plug & play units available. By the time I ordered all the parts and had them shipped & brokers fees it cost me about $150. So, for me here in Canada, there's not any savings but it might be different for someone in an area that has the parts more accessable.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

Thank you sir

I guess I will have to buy one.

Nathan

FLBentRider

I bought the programmable unit. No time with the Honey-do list to build it. Mucho happy with the results.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ed1978

Yeah, save the pain with buying the plug&play. At most, you'll save $20-$30 if you build one but you'll wasted much time and risk failing to assemble correctly. 

nickld

I just ordered the programmable unit! Just what I need for salmon!   ;D

Nick