Finally! Crispy Turkey Legs

Started by Smokin Soon, September 22, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofite

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 08, 2008, 02:33:14 AM

Geofite,

I'm glad you used string to tie you chickens. I was concerned with the high temperatures that the string would burn loose.

The strings did not burn at all, they were the same as they come out from the oven. The birds came already tied up so all I did was wash and dry the birds, pull the legs loose from the string, stuffed the birds with lemon wedges, garlic, onions and salt and pepper, then put the legs back to the way they were and that is it.

Habanero Smoker

As for the discount coupon, there was no coupon included in my package, but there was a flyer about the accessories, and information about the new Easy-Out Clamshell Basket. The new basket opens in half to make it easy to load and unload, but it was not listed on their website.

At the bottom of that flyer there is a code you need to use at check out, but the flyer doesn't say what the code is for. I ordered my cover and basket yesterday, enter the code, but there was no discount noted. I sent and email asking them to explain what the code is for, and if it is a discount it was not applied to my order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

That happened to one of our guys that bought the Costco unit and he called Char-Broil and they said "sorry, too late for the discount, your order has been processed". Also this is the first I have heard about a clamshell basket. Post a pic when you get yours. You will like the cover, it looks durable.

Habanero Smoker

I just seasoned mine and just turned it off. Looking through the viewing slots the whole burning was working fine. It seem to be about 1/16 of an inch difference from the low and high setting, but I not completely sure because I didn't check the flame settings until after the cooking pot was installed.

I didn't order the clamshell basket, they didn't have it on their web site. I read somewhere it will not be available until early November. They are trying to make it available early enough for people to use during Thanksgiving. I can scan the black and white picture on the flyer and post it. It looks like it would be good if you are only cooking one item, it may be difficult to open if you have homemade shelves.

Since mine is on back order until 11/03; I may have a legitimate argument. Or cancel the order, and call it in. What is the discount?

I'll have the picture posted in about 30 minutes of so.

Here is an image of the new clamshell basket:

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

Habs,

Since you have the larger model your can use a 10.5 inch round steel grill grate that is used for a Weber Grill. A hardware store by us has a good supply of Weber parts and it sell for about $7.00. I just made a couple of cross braces to set it on like the pictures from Geofite.

What is also interesting is that this discussion is now 6 pages long.

Here is a link for the Charboil Big Easy forum.

http://sizzleonthegrill.com/user-forums/

Smokin Soon

The clamshell basket does make some sense, when I did my 2 whole chiks, the bottom one was stuck just a little and took some wrestling to get it out. The basket opening is a good idea for whole birds but would not be practical for our makeshift grills. The top basket that they sell is nice, but I want to maximize my wing count as you have seen here. Now that Habs has one, let the creativity begin!!

Habanero Smoker

Car54;
Thanks for the information on the Weber grill grates. I believe the baskets for both models are the same size, so those grills grates should work in the original model also. I am going to Lowes and Home Depot today so I'll check if they have any in stock.

I've been checking the forum out and notice you, Smokin Soon and a few other Bradley member there. I'll join later today.

Smokin Soon;
Adding extra grills maximizes the cooking capacity, and one that I will be using often. I will still need the accessory basket. That will be handy for items that require less cooking time than the meat; such as vegetables, and it will make easier to load and remove the items quickly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

On Sunday I did make a successful chicken. My regulator must have been over pressurized.

Brad

Habanero Smoker

I finally had a chance to use mine today. It took 3.5 hours for a 3 pound chicken. Average ambient temperature was 65°F, and not wind.

I can only see the flame through the view slot. Even though it is over casted today, it is impossible to see the flame while the cooking pot is removed. With the cooking pot in place and looking through the view holes the flame looks good both on high and low settings. When it gets darker I view the flame with the cooking pot removed.

Car 54;
How long did it take to roast your chicken on Sunday, and what size was it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

Habs,

It took about an hour and it was 4 to 5 lbs.

Brad

beefmann

looks  good  none the  less... delicious

Smokin Soon

This thing is the bomb for wings!!! Did a variation of Nepa's sauce, Thanks nepa! 1 hour of Maple and into the pot.
I could only rescue a few stragglers for a poc.

Smokin Soon

hab's, I dont think anything should take 3.5 hours. Our guys are doing 12 pound turkeys in a little more that one hour. Somethings not right there. I have done 2 chickens in 1 hour, they wer small but filled the basket. I did about 20 wings today in 45 minutes, granted they had about 60 minutes of smoke first.

Gizmo

For me, the jury is still out on the quality of this unit.  The variation in times sounds like there is an issue or learning curve to over come.  I am looking forward to further reports on this unit.  Think I will stick with the convection house oven as the times there seem to be faster than what you guys are experiencing so far. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Car 54;

Thanks. I took the chicken out at 5 PM; which was the 3.5 hours. I checked the internal temperature with my thermapen, and the thermapen registered 215°F at the thigh. The probe I was using was not functioning correctly. Cooking with this unit is going to be a learning curve. It doesn't brown the same as it would if it was in an oven. So a good probe is essential. Looks like I will be eating a lot of chicken salad.

When it got dark enough I was able to check the flame. On the high setting the length looked about 1/2" or a little higher, and fairly even all around. At low setting the flame was about 1/16" lower.

Car 54 & Smokin Soon;
I forgot to ask earlier; did you use the cover at all during the cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.