Finally! Crispy Turkey Legs

Started by Smokin Soon, September 22, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Smokin Soon

About cleaning: After seasoning the slide out pot, basket and lid with cooking oil, the thing looks like you had it for a year or so. There is no grease in the pot, it all goes through a hole in the bottom to a slide out drawer. Pretty easy. There is a small forum getting started for these.

http://sizzleonthegrill.com/user-forums/index.php?board=24.0

Buck36

Smokin Soon,

Thanks for posting this with the wings. I have been looking into the oil-less fryers but I thought they couldn't do small pieces of meat like a wing. After seeing your post, I think I may have to buy one!

La Quinta

I looked around today on the internet and man...you got a deal...looks like your unit is $129 now...the bigger one is $159 (or more). Have been chatting with the hubby about buying one...figure if I donate my old Brinkman Smoker and the Old gas grill...the tax break may just pay for this little sucker!!!  :D  :D  :D

Smokin Soon

Lq, If your gonna go with the bigger one that will handle a 24 pounder, there is a coupon inside that gives a discount on the optional upper basket. Ya gotta have that unless you want to improvise like I did for doing wings and such. Check the websight I posted for optional racks that fit the thing. I did some leg quarters since my first post the same way as the turkey legs and they were fantastic! Granted, gotta do some McGyver routines to arrange in the basket, but it all works. Basket in smoker bottom shelf for a smoke, into the pot for a great crispy finnished product. The place I bought it from had 8 units in stock and me and my employees bought them all. Interesting, they had shipping labels from the Home Shopping Network.

La Quinta

OMG...the Home Shopping Network....eeeeekkkk! I was gonna go with the smaller unit...just me and Bob and the puppies...and the dogs just get dog food...so...don't need the big sucker. Interesting tho...HSN...whoda thunk it?

Habanero Smoker

I was on the Charbroil site and they only have one size that does up to 16 pounds. The one's at Costco must have been a special order to the manufacture. I wish I had Costco closer to me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Habs,

If you are already a member of Costco why don't you just have it mailed to you. I looked into a memmbership and it would cost me $50.00.

Brad

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: car54 on September 25, 2008, 03:05:14 AM
Habs,

If you are already a member of Costco why don't you just have it mailed to you. I looked into a memmbership and it would cost me $50.00.

Brad

That's a good idea but I'm not a member. The closest one is too far away, and in a direction I don't normally travel to make a membership cost effective. I'm going to check it out on their website, if the capacity is larger in the units they sell, I may just use your suggestion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 25, 2008, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: car54 on September 25, 2008, 03:05:14 AM
Habs,

Brad

That's a good idea but I'm not a member. The closest one is too far away, and in a direction I don't normally travel to make a membership cost effective. I'm going to check it out on their website, if the capacity is larger in the units they sell, I may just use your suggestion.

Habs,

I think that Costco lets you buy online without a membership. 

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Thanks Deb.

I was checking it out on line today, and Costco wants $159. I quickly checked the dimenstions with the one at Lowes for $139, and I can not find any differences in the one Costco is advertising as being able to cook a 25 pound turkey, and the one at Lowes that states it will cook up to a 16 pound turkey. I'll have to compare them more closely to see if I'm missing something.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

I just won the large Costco unit on Ebay for $107.00. It was the only one listed.

Brad

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 26, 2008, 02:07:07 PM
Thanks Deb.

I was checking it out on line today, and Costco wants $159. I quickly checked the dimenstions with the one at Lowes for $139, and I can not find any differences in the one Costco is advertising as being able to cook a 25 pound turkey, and the one at Lowes that states it will cook up to a 16 pound turkey. I'll have to compare them more closely to see if I'm missing something.

Habs,

If I get to Costco this weekend I'll check out the price in the store.  I keep looking at this thread and telling myself that I don't need another appliance......

Deb

Smokin Soon

One thing I may have forgot is the easy way to tell if it is the bigger costco unit is the color of the pot. The original is black, the 16 lb unit, and the costco unit that claims 25 lb is navy grey. Might help on folks checking ebay and such.

Just looking at my stand-up rib racks, and how they would hold some smoked cured chops, prop the extras on the top of the basket on my bacon hooks like the wings. Yes! News at 11!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on September 26, 2008, 06:36:28 PM
One thing I may have forgot is the easy way to tell if it is the bigger costco unit is the color of the pot. The original is black, the 16 lb unit, and the costco unit that claims 25 lb is navy grey. Might help on folks checking ebay and such.

Just looking at my stand-up rib racks, and how they would hold some smoked cured chops, prop the extras on the top of the basket on my bacon hooks like the wings. Yes! News at 11!

S.S. thanks for the additional information. I'm close to getting one, but would like to get the larger unit. With the same outside dimensions of both units, I don't see how one can have such a huge difference in capacity. Maybe Costco is posting the wrong specifications for it's unit.

Deb;
If you do go to Costco, could you also possibly note the btu's, width and height of the unit. Both as listed as 21 (21.1) in. W by 24.5 in. H, 16,000 BTU's. Like you I don't need another appliance, but this would come in handy. As I read more about this unit it will roast vegetables, and with the small basket inserts it should be able to roast corn on the cob.

PS
I was just on the Big Easy Forum, and according to the forum the one at Costco is a larger limited addition.

I
         don't
                   inhale.