Finally! Crispy Turkey Legs

Started by Smokin Soon, September 22, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Habs, I think the Costco unit would me the one for veggies, as it has a high and low heat setting.

deb415611

Costco report -- when you walk into Costco's lobby they have pictures of featured items --  the fryer was pictured with a price of $148.99 -- I never pay attention to these pictures so I'm not sure if it is a special price for a limited amount of time or regular instore price.  

Model #08101472.   The box didn't have that much information on it but they had one on display.  18,000 btu.  Grey.  The box did say that it could do a turkey up to 25lbs.  I couldn't find dimensions on the box or the unit or in the instruction booklet and I didn't think to bring a tape measure with me.  

I think a 25lb turkey would fit - a tight fit.  They don't sell turkeys so I couldn't go grab one to see if it would fit.  

I restrained myself from buying one but think it's in the future.  

deb415611

Smokin Soon posted while I was writing -- the one I saw at Costco had a dial like setting from Low to High -- I should have looked closer but I don't think it was just low or high - that maybe it has a range. 

Mr Walleye

I just noticed Canadiantire here in Canada has the same thing. The only difference is it is made by Thermos and called Infrared Turkey Fryer. It doesn't say what size turkey will fit but it does say it's 18,000 BTUs. It looks identical to the Big Easy and I'm sure it is but if it is 18,000 BTUs, I wonder if it is the larger version. Here is a link.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443303544&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396676181&bmUID=1222554099753&deptid=1408474396672561&ctgrid=1408474396672562&subctgrid=1408474396676181

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

The one from Canadian Tire is the standard model that will do a 16 pounder.

Habanero Smoker

Deb, Smoking Soon and Mike;

Thanks for the follow up and additional information. I broke down and ordered myself an early Christmas gift. The higher Costco online price included the shipping and handling, plus I had to pay an additional 5% for not being a member, and of course the great state of New York needed to collect its sale taxes. It should arrive within 10 business days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Habs,    Merry early xmas. ;D

I think I'm going to get one but not for a little while.  I'm swamped workwise until October 15th and don't need any more distractions.  I figure I'll get it after that and have time to test a turkey or two before Thanksgiving.   

I have been procrastinating getting some type of stand for my OBS and now I know why -- It needs to be big enough to put the fryer on also  :)

Deb

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smokin Soon on September 27, 2008, 06:02:26 PM
The one from Canadian Tire is the standard model that will do a 16 pounder.

That's what I thought but I noticed that the standard model is 16,000 btu's, the larger Costco model is 18,000 btu's and the CanadianTire model is also 18,000 btu's.

Mike

Smokin Soon

Habs. I'm really happy you decided to go for it because I know you will come up with with stuff I never thought of and share with us! I have a couple a yardbirds in the soup for a smoke-fry tomorrow.
New cooking toys, recipes, spices,sauces, brines are the things that keep us old guys young! My wife has even forgiven me for buying the expensive Thermopen quick read thermometer after trying the goods!

Habanero Smoker

I often don't get a chance to buy new toys, but I couldn't control myself on this one. I'm glad you informed us of the larger unit; that was the deal breaker. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokin Soon

A couple of birds just finished in the Big Easy.

Habanero Smoker

The chickens look good. Did you make the self from an extra Bradley rack, or does that come with the Big Easy?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokin Soon

Thats a chopped Bradley rack, good eyes. When you get yours from Costco, make sure you find your discount for a upper basket and cover. I ordered mine.

Mr Walleye

Smokin Soon

Looking at the basket I don't see why you couldn't figure out a way to make 4 racks for it. That way you would have a total of 5 levels for doing things like wings.....

Ok... I gotta quit thinkin' 'bout this or I'll have one ordered too!  ::)

Mike

Smokin Soon

Mr Walleye, It would be a proud addition to your smoking kingdom. I am really suprised that this beast does not smoke at all. I would not hesitate to us this in a well ventilated garage. And as another member stated, it would probably heat your garage too. Oh, silly me....with the hi-tech setup you have, I'm sure your garage is heated!